Thursday, October 17, 2013

Quilts from Gee's Bend

I got up at 9:30. I read e-mail, took out the recyclables, and emptied the dishwasher. I had to dry a few items. I washed sprouts, broccoli stems, celery, carrots and something else. I juiced them, drank the juice, cleaned it up, and made breakfast. I dove back into the e-mail and audios while I ate. I wrote a letter, and cleared some room in sewing room. I assembled three rows of sri yantra, but it was harder than I thought. It was 5:30, so I came up to cook broccoli in butter, soy sauce and water. I practiced trombone while it cooked. After I ate, I went to the guild meeting. When I dropped off my orange strips, I found my bag of red strips from last month. I also turned it the fish quilt top. The program was a presentation of Gee's Bend quilting and a QnA with a Gee's Bend quilter. Hearing that they make their quilts from recycled clothing, I was able to make sense of the odd shapes they use.  This particular lady shops at thrift stores to get the colors of clothing she wants.  She donated a small piece to our guild.  I wonder if Chris would let me take his old shirts and make something similar.  When I got home, I almost tripped over 2 big boxes in the carport. I investigated with a flashlight and decided they were for the man across the street. Chris and I took the letter (from 2 days ago) and rang their doorbell, but no one answered, except the dogs. We left the letter on his windshield with a note about the boxes. I asked Chris to carry my embroidery machine upstairs to the guest room, and he did. Then we watched two episodes of Forever Knight. He looked up the familiar-looking people on IMDB and then he went to bed. I stayed up only long enough to post to my blog, which meant transferring the pics from my camera to the laptop and then cropping them to fit the quilts.

No comments: