Sunday, April 5, 2015

Is this what it's like to be blonde?

Last night, I ran the dishwasher and went to bed. Soon after I went to bed, one of the neighbors decided to have a loud party. I tried to block it out of my head. I never heard of a loud Easter party. Eventually I fell asleep. I woke up in the dark. I tried to go back to sleep, but could not. At 6:15 I got up to look again for the white belt with no luck. Then I took a shower and swished and checked e-mail. I watched selections from Easter Parade on Youtube., and exercised, dressed, and went to church. I got some attention and favorable comments. As I waited for the service to begin, I was glad I wasn't in the brass section. It was a good sermon, comparing the resurrection to wrestling matches where the good guy makes a miraculous comeback. During the sharing of the peace, one lady told me my hat was a work of art. I felt a little self conscious. After first service, I went home to make and eat breakfast. I checked e-mail, and started emptying the dishwasher. Then I went back to church. I warmed up with the choir, and got lots of comments. Kurt said the hat would be perfect for Derby day. Art and I agreed to count the offering tomorrow afternoon. Just before the service started, Shannon and her husband came in. He is about to go to Cosovo and will leave her and her son here for a year. Boy, do I know what that feels like! I did not tell her about Korea. As the choir assembled up front to sing the anthem, Cecelia asked me why I wasn't playing with the brass trio. The quickest answer I had was that then I couldn't wear this hat (it's true, though). I got more favorable comments during the passing of the peace. After the service, I helped Art count just the loose cash in the offering plate. Tim showed me the printing calculator he'd bought for our use. Cecelia offered me one of the lilies that she paid for and I thanked her. Jim said he really missed me playing trombone with him and the tuba player. He asked if we started practicing earlier, would I play next year? So I had to tell him I was unlikely to be here next year. Cecelia said I should keep in practice all year round so I would be ready to play for Easter and Reformation. One man (who was my height so I can't call him short) came up to me and at length told me how much he missed all the beautiful hats in church and he so appreciated me wearing mine. Don said I was looking more beautiful all the time and Chris should be worried. I got more attention for wearing the hat (and matching dress) than I ever did for playing my trombone in church. As I stood in line to shake the pastor's hand, the intern alerted me to look for cash from the breakfast brunch which should go to the intern fund. The organist told the pastor that I was leaving and so the cat was really out. I admitted that I was praying like Jesus in the garden of Gethsemane. Pastor said “Not my will but thine”. I admitted that I was still on the 'take this cup away' part. I went home with the lily. I took a selfie, trying to get both my face and the decoration on the hat. I changed my clothes, and tried to take a nap. Then I meditated. Still no sleep. I raked under the magnolia and picked dandelion. I ate it with vinegar and olive oil. I washed the kitchen window and then couldn't stop. I was washing a diningroom window when Craig went by, spraying weeds. I called out to him and we talked for a while. After he had to go, I washed more windows, then mowed spots here and there. Then I washed the outside of the windows as far up as I could reach. And I brushed off the frames. Then I came in, and ate some raspberries and chocolate while checking for new e-mail. I tried to watch X-Files, but the usual DVD software would not work. I tried one with a traffic cone for a logo. It worked passingly well. I let sweet potatoes bake in the oven while I watched. Chris called me on skype during the third episode. Then I went back to finish the video and ate one of the sweet potatoes. Now the plan is to blog and go to bed.

No comments: