Monday, April 27, 2015

What have I gotten myself into?

I woke up worrying about the test quilt. It wasn't something I wanted to do and yet somehow I felt like I should do it. Should I tell them no or say I will do part of it? Over and over. I got up to check the time and went back to bed because it was so early. Finally the alarm sounded and I got up for good. I exercised and checked e-mail. I called Dad to tell him Michele's address. I assembled the juicer but then did not feel like drinking juice. That was odd. It kind of stopped me in my tracks. Finally I went ahead with breakfast, assuring my stomach that if it did not want breakfast either, it did not have to eat it. But it was ok with breakfast when it was made. I ate and listened to an audio about a compassion technique that had similarities to EFT. I printed out the four patterns for the test quilt blocks. I made notes about the directions, which I had to load into 4 tabs to keep straight. I went downstairs to choose fabrics for the blocks. I went through my stash of batiks (what they recommended) to find a dark and a light that looked good together that I didn't mind using up. They also recommended SteamaSeam, but all I had was WonderUnder so I used that. I cut a piece off and traced the first picture onto it. It was slow and tedious. I packed up the rest and took them to the car. I could not resist watering the plants and seeds before I left. I drove to quilting. Debbie was there and she'd brought me a gallon of strawberries from a farm that she passed on the way in. I paid her and set up my sewing stuff at the small table by the irons. We had a large group and that was the only space left. I could smell the strawberries as I sat and traced more pictures. I ironed them to the fabric and cut out the outer parts. The inner ones were so small I figured only a craft knife would do. My scrap of dark fabric ran out before the 4th picture. So I had to 'piece' it with glue, which was already on the edges from where I cut out the first three. I had to finesse it though to keep from getting glue on the iron. It was a lot of cutting and my hands began to hurt. We all had a good time chatting with each other. Maryann was cutting up grocery bags to make crocheted mats for the homeless. I wished her luck with that. Around 5 I left to drive home. I wished for a bag to go over the strawberries so they wouldn't roll around in Chris' nice car, but the driving went smoothly and no berries left the bucket. I left my sewing stuff in the car, but brought in the cutouts and berries. I put them in vinegar water to soak off any pesticides. I put a beef tongue in a pot of water to cook. I washed and oiled 4 organic white sweet potatoes and put them in the oven to cook. I sat and tapped, nearly fell asleep listening to the oven tick. I did a Sudoku puzzle with my left eye. I left a message for Chris on Skype. I fished out the overly ripe strawberries, and ate some with the tongue. I picked wild lettuce and kale and made a salad with sunflower seeds and strawberries. I ate it while talking to Chris, who was bundled up on his couch, feeling cold. I hoped he wasn't sick. Then I watched “Salmon Fishing in the Yemen”, which is a much better movie than the name would suggest. When it was over, I tidied up e-mail, posted to my blog, and went to bed.

No comments: