Monday, May 25, 2015

Ancestors

We got up somewhere around 8. It seemed later to me. Chris took a shower while I exercised and made breakfast. And then I showered while he had breakfast. I visited with Michele and Marie and Al and Cecily. She told me to tell Dad that he could go to AARP meetings to get out and socialize. Around 10 we said goodbye and packed the car. We were well on our way to Dad’s house when Al called to say the coconut milk had been left behind. So we went back to get it. My supplements were there, too. I swallowed them and then we were on our way again. So it was close to noon when we arrived in Midlothian. Dad was waiting for us and helped carry in luggage. He had some stuff for me to go through but that did not take long. I put some oregano oil on his toenails. He showed me two pairs of pants that needed hemming. But he never took the second pair off so I only hemmed the one while he ate. We talked about the estate, and genealogy, and family history stories that I had never heard before. He showed me his genealogy chart. It was cracked and falling apart. He wanted to find a place with a flatbed scanner large enough to copy it. I took pics of it in sections. Chris cooked roast beef that Dad found in the freezer from two years ago. I put a bag of frozen corn on his ankle. I checked e-mail while Dad finished supper. Then he started gathering garbage. Patrick came over. Chris and Parker talked about the revaluation and decided not to challenge it. Patrick told me all about coins he had from other countries and Chris gave him some lempira. Patrick told me all about Korea as if I had never been there. Dad took the garbage out one small bag at a time. He showed me an afghan that someone made for Grandma. He wanted to return it to her but she had died so he wanted to give it to her kids. I suggested that Kurt or William might want it. Mom’s chair was full of stuff and I suggested we discard the cover that was shedding foam rubber everywhere. So he put the cover in a bag, and I sorted through a bag of cards that was on the chair. It was emotional because there were Christmas cards and birthday cards and condolence cards and anniversary cards, etc. He wanted the ones with pictures of relatives. The others were so beautiful, he decided to offer them to the craft lady across the street before recycling them. I found some bathtub skids in the same pile. I applied several to the tub in the master bath. By then it was almost 11 so we went to bed.

No comments: