Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Leaving Virginia

I got up sometime after the alarm rang at 8. I washed up and got dressed. Chris lent me one of his t-shirts because I was out of clean tops. I must have miscounted when I packed. Dad wanted to take our picture because we had both lowered our BMI (his words). We stood on the deck while he used my camera. I did my exercises, and made breakfast. I helped Dad look for a soft ice pack to wrap on his ankle. I looked in the coolers in the attic and in the filing cabinet in the utility room. I did not find any. But I did find a stainless steel salad bowl in the freezer with old chocolate chips and Christmas candy. I threw the various leftover pieces in a ziplock bag and put them on his ankle. Then I felt pain in my chest so I used his blood pressure machine and the results were normal. I tried reading e-mail, but my laptop fan wasn’t working and it heated up quickly. I turned it off. Parker called to say the septic people were there and that the tank was rusted and cracked and needed to be replaced. I got out the vacuum and suctioned the fan ports and the chair in the den. I moved the chair to get the foam pieces under it, then put it back in place. I started up my laptop again, but the fan still did not work. I jotted notes to my blog as Chris packed the car. We said goodbye to Dad and then got in the car and headed south. We listened to a continuation of the previous book on CD. We made one pit stop and then stopped at the Japanese restaurant in Bristol. But we were early and they were not open. So we went to the nearby grocery store. We bought cheese and chocolate, cherries, capers, rolls and a veggie tray. It cost more than if we had gone out to eat. Then we went to the hotel. They assigned us the first big room on the corner. There was a car parked in the first space so Chris parked in the second one. But the other car was parked over the line and our car scraped that one. We brought our stuff inside and Chris went looking for the owner to report the scrape. She jumped in the car and took off. We sat in the hotel room and ate some of our food. Then I spied a police car coming into the lot. Chris went out to meet the policeman and the car owner. A report was made and they exchange info. Then Chris called USAA to report for insurance. I wanted to read e-mail, but my laptop fan wasn’t working. So I tried the tablet. Chris helped me get online with the hotel router. But it was just too difficult. The screen was too small to read. When I enlarged the type, it did not fit on the screen. Also, all of the options were icons and I could not tell what they did or how to move to the next message without deleting the current one. I gave up and booted up the laptop anyway. I deleted some e-mail and read a few articles and then shut it down because it was hot. Chris turned on the TV and we watched the last part of The Desolation of Smaug, and then NCIS New Orleans. And then I booted up the laptop just long enough to post to my blog before going to bed.

No comments: