Thursday, October 22, 2015

If you lay it down, they will pack it.

I woke up before 6 and could not go back to sleep. Funny how I can be so tired and not be able to sleep. We got up at 7. While Chris took his shower, I turned on my laptop and swished and exercised. Then I took my shower. I have been ending my showers with a cold rinse for the last two weeks in case there is something to the theory that cold showers help with depression. I need all the help I can get. Chris wanted to change out my shower filter head with the original one. But he could not find it. So I went all through the tool area looking for it (because that's where I put it) and did not find it. But while I was at it, I sorted through what should go in storage vs thrown/donated. The packers arrived soon after. I did not have time to get breakfast before they started packing. And they started upstairs in the kitchen and bedrooms. So I had to fix breakfast around them and rescue my items from being packed. I pulled all the stuff to be stored from the corner of the kitchen where I was making breakfast, and told them not to pack anything from that corner. I hoped my future breakfasts were safe. I grabbed an old dishcloth and towel and threw them in the bathroom hoping they would stay there and not get packed before I had a chance to clean. I put my broom and mop outside. I went through all the items on the desk in the den. I went through piles of stuff here and there as I found them. I kept checking on the packers to make sure they got their questions answered. One man was packing the books on fixing things around the house. Since he was so interested, I told him he could have them. Another man expressed interest in the patio chairs so I told him he could have them, but not 'till the stuff was loaded because we might need them to sit on when all the chairs were packed. I cleaned up piles in the basement and added boxes to the recycling pile. I love saving boxes and it hurt to let them go. I thought my dad would understand the feeling. All those lovely boxes and paper and plastic bags... sigh. Before we leave, I will have to let go of my jar collection, too. Chris bought lunch for the movers. He got me a package of kimbap. I ate it at the patio table out back. The packer in the computer room moved my suitcase so he could get to the books behind it. I swore there was a packing strap under the suitcase that insures it stays shut, but he swore he never saw it and I could not find it anywhere. Eventually Chris found it inside the suitcase. Finally I thought I was really done going through piles. I sat down to jot notes for my blog and send a note to the Thursday crowd. Chris used the riding mower one last time. Sadly the push mower was gone so he could not trim up what the riding mower missed. Chris went to post to copy forms and give them to someone. Then I found the shower head in the downstairs bathroom where I must have put it to avoid being packed. I found another tool cache in the garage, and went through all of that, partly with Chris after the packers left. They said they thought they could finish packing by noon tomorrow and start loading. I relaxed after they left because all day long I was afraid if I laid something down, they would pack it. We carried the branches that their truck knocked down to the street. He left again to fuel my car and buy sodas for the packers tomorrow. I raked up the remaining sticks and leaves. I sat down to have leftover leftovers: goat cheese and sweet potato. Chris came back from the store with coconut water for me (since I finished what Faye got me.) I listened to part of the last episode of TTAC where lots of cancer survivors tell their stories. Then we put the Netflix movie Tintin in my laptop and watched it. It was animated in a way that looked almost real. The story was interesting but some of the action was just not believable. I let the credits play just to listen to the music. I sat at my piano and pretended it was me playing. It may be the last time I 'play' my piano. Chris went to bed, but I stayed up to post to my blog.
* Is it possible to be addicted to boxes? *

No comments: