Friday, October 23, 2015

No place like home

This morning I did some mental programming while lying in bed. When the alarm rang, Chris jumped in the shower. I got up to take pics of a box, then fired up my laptop, brushed my teeth and put coconut oil on the area above my ear. I, swished and exercised around the boxes. I found another cache of cooking utensils in the closet. Apparently we had more than would fit in the drawers so I put the extras there. I weeded out wooden spoons but Chris wanted them because he said he could not buy them in the Chinhae PX. It was again after 8 till I got to my breakfast, working around the boxes in the kitchen. As the men packed, I wiped down furniture. I pulled nails out of the walls, but those with picture hangers were too solidly embedded. I started to clean the fridge but Chris said to wait on that.
Denise called to talk generally and about the probiotic I ordered for her knowing that she is coming to visit next week. When I came in to check on it, I realized that it had gotten sent to Korea with the rest of my vitamins. Argh! I laid outside in the sun, in my regular clothes and with no towel or sheet between me and the ground. But it felt good anyway. I was expecting a call from Beverly and when she didn't, I called her. She came over with some quilt magazines for me to read on the plant and a fabric license plate. I had promised her a Texas one. I went to my car to get the one that I saved for her, but it wasn't there. I hoped it went to Korea (rather than packed in a box) and promised to mail it to her. We talked a long time in the driveway. I shooed her out at five because she was parked behind the moving truck. But their boss must have told them not to come back until the truck was full and they kept loading for another hour and half. Chris took pics of a spider, and the flowering chia. I watered the peppers. After a summer of no tomatoes, the plants have all come back and greened up in the cooler weather. We saw one very large green tomato that will likely not ripen before we leave. Sigh. I got hungry. Chris had offered to take me to the Thai place for supper, but the men were still loading. He brought up the menu online and I chose what I wanted. He ordered and went to pick it up. I swept several rooms and the den carpet so they could load it. While Chris was still gone, the man in charge asked me to sign papers listing everything they had packed, and asking for a rating on a scale from 1 to 10. I could not believe the number of pages, and that was just the upstairs stuff. After they left, we ate. Then we went to Publix for milk, chocolate, dates, coconut water and a cucumber. When we got back to the house and opened the door, I exclaimed “Looks like we've been robbed!” Chris did not laugh but I thought it was funny. We moved the kitchen table (only table left) into the den so we could both sit at it comfortably. I listened to a very long podcast on autism and asbergers. While it played, I looked at quilts on Pinterest, and then worked on Sudoku puzzles. I could not get comfortable without my favorite chair. When the audio was over, it got quiet and the emptiness made me cry. Chris went to bed, so I posted to my blog and went, too.
P.S. The men did not finish packing the basement and garage, so they are coming back Monday to finish the job.

No comments: