Thursday, July 7, 2016

Pavlov's slugs

I slept well until I had to get up to go to the bathroom. Then my whole body was restless. Chris got up when my alarm went off. We heard the groundskeepers start up with their weedwhackers. I filled the water pitchers when Chris got out of the shower. I saw mildew on the toilet and cleaned it. I drank I drank water while reading e-mail. I watched a sewing video. I started filling out a form to return the errant shipment, but ran into questions. I hung the blackout panel and removed the boxes from the window. It did not block all the daylight, but I hoped it would be more effective at night. I did some tapping for my eyesight. I turned on the dehumidifier since everyone was talking about how humid their homes were. I saw that yoga was canceled again – so I called it NOga. I went outside to rake up the grass clipping and the rake was missing. So I went to Housing for another rake and told them I thought the groundskeepers had picked it up. I noticed that the yard of the month sign was gone. I raked up piles of grass, then clipped around the edges of the yard. I counted the slugs and poured out the old beer. The slug count rose to 204. I checked e-mail again. I was making breakfast when Chris came home with packages. I opened them, but none of them contained what I was missing. They were more recent orders. I finished breakfast, then took a shower. I checked my e-mail one last time. Then I walked into town for my massage. It was a good one, as usual. Mrs. Kim called while I was getting dressed to say she would not be coming over to show me where the other massage place was because it was being renovated. When I paid for the massage, he charged more than the price he quoted me last week. He also said Mr. Kim was going on vacation for a month starting the last week of July. I was very sad. I walked to the market anyway. I walked up a narrow alley of nothing but two small shops that were probably tailoring. I went on to other streets, eventually buying cucumbers and peppers. Then I went back to the shop to ask if they made pants. But she and I could not communicate. I stopped at another such place and I thought they understood. But when I asked the price and she said 3000 won ($3), so I figured she meant for hemming. On the walk home, I called Myra to tell her about Mr. Kim in case she wanted a massage or two in the meantime. When I got home, I checked e-mail. I emptied the dehumidifier which had been running for about six hours and was full. I made a salad, then watched videos on sewing clothing. Chris came home and made himself supper. Then we watched two episodes of Bones. I blended up orange peels and poured it on the tomatoes by the side of the house. I opened a can of beer for the slugs. They were already waiting in the empty bowl for me to fill it. I mentioned it to Chris and he said they were attracted by residue. I liked my theory better. I jotted notes for my blog while Chris was getting ready for his group call. While he was engaged, I listened to parts of my Craftsy design class again to brush up on pattern adjusting. After his call, I printed out a photo of a lady who will be leaving soon. I had trouble with the process but eventually it did as I commanded. Then Chris went to bed while I finished my blog post and joined him.
* After Paris Baguette moved out, apparently Tous Les Jours moved in. Do they think they'll have better luck? *

No comments: