Saturday, July 2, 2016

Finally finished

I slept through the night, no problems at all. I was almost hoping for some RLS so I could try some acupressure points and an exercise that I read about. But lack of the problem is better. Chris gave me a reason to stay in bed late. I don’t know how late it was when I got up. I drank water and checked e-mail. I did the weekend puzzle. Longevity Warehouse was having a sale so I spent some time looking into the bargains and I finally placed an order. I needed some exercise, so I put on my Xero shoes and we went walking around base. It started to rain. After we got back, Chris went to the commissary. I stayed home and started pizza crust dough in the bread machine. I let the dress out, and ripped out the previous stitching. Somehow it just wasn’t right. I went looking online for a proper hem length. I came across several sites where you can enter your measurements and they show you your body shape. One of them lets you put clothes on the shape, and gives you a selection of clothes in that style for sale. I did not like all the stuff they said would complement my shape. I picked out a top and a pair of pants, but there did not seem to be a way to make the model wear both at the same time. I compared my new dress to two older dresses. According to them, the new dress was almost too short to hem. But it hung below my knees, which the other dresses did not. I ended up cutting off at least two inches. Using a scrap, I tried serging fusible interfacing to the edge and ironing it in place. I also tried just stitching it down. The stitching looked better than the fusing. But I had to finish the side seams first. At that point I had unstitched them and hand basted them in place. The dress did not want to hang right at the seams when I matched the edges. Allowing them to fall where they wanted to be and basting by hand made it better. I re-drew the curves on the dress pattern so the curves on the front would match the curves on the back. Then I serged the side seams. I pinned the hem up all the way around and stitched it down with beige thread. I tacked down the arm facings. At some point I had to take a break to roll out the pizza dough. I used the back side of my extra large cutting mat because it was so smooth. But the dough still stuck to it. After rolling, I peeled it up and put it on the pizza pan. What a sticky mess to clean up afterward. Chris made his pizza while I finished the dress. Because it was raining, again, and hard, I turned on my HappyLight. But only half of it lit up. It was not enough to rip stitches by. So I worked in my sewing room. It was 9pm when I was ready to watch TV. We saw one episode of Bones. Then I posted to my blog, trying to remember everything I did today. I suspect we’ll go to bed soon.
* this screen pic is from Mystylerules.com *

No comments: