Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Bag ladies

I got to sleep sooner last night, so I guess the reading helped.
In the morning, I heard my phone alarm ring. I did not feel like getting up, but I knew the recyclables had to go out. Eventually I got myself out of bed, and dressed. I collated the recyclables into plastic bags and dropped them at the curb. I saw people walking their kids to school and was glad I took the time to get dressed. I made a quart of lemon water and drank it while watching “Let me be Frank”, a documentary about a 54 year old man who lets three young men from a raw vegan restaurant help him change his diet and life in 42 days. I also did some yoga stretches. I paused the video to juice the remaining half of purple cabbage. I paused it again later to make breakfast. When the video was over, there was another one that was just an interview. I watched/listened to that one, too.
I took a shower. I practiced my trombone. I cut some pieces of fusible stabilizer for the next project. I packed my bag and took an umbrella to walk to the chapel for sewing class. Two ladies had arrived early and were setting up the room. However, someone had reserved the room for the afternoon so we moved to the other classroom. That someone never showed up and has reserved the room for next week also.
Anyway, three ladies said they wanted to make the bag project. Then a fourth lady came in, also interested in the bag, but couldn't stay. All three picked the same outer fabrics: a set Myra picked up at the Jungang market. So I cut the squares they needed while they picked out lining fabrics. Eileen worked on a previous project while the three worked on the bags, then made one of her own. Tammy worked on her quilt a little bit. Chantel made a bag that ties to the back of a headrest to carry kids toys. She had the tutorial on her phone and I helped her decipher the instructions.
Myra had to fetch a long ruler from home to cut the squares. We went half an hour over so that Chantel and Eileen could finish. I fused rectangles of interfacing to the back of a 15 inch square for next week's project. Then we all cleaned up and put the machines and baskets back in the closet. I walked Myra home, then walked the trail as far as the first exercise station, and came back. It was yucky weather so I didn't want to walk to the bank, but I did want to get a little daily exercise. I had a bite to eat then sat to catch up on e-mail. I filled a jar with coconut water and added some probiotics to it. I tried to take a nap, but couldn't quite fall asleep.

I continued work on my project: I selected an outer fabric and cut a 15 inch square. I put it with the stabilized one. I made a handle and inserted it between the layers. I cut pieces of pink ribbon and put them at strategic spots between the layers. Then I sewed around and turned it right sides out. After top-stitching, I had a flat basket. I drew up the corners and tied the ribbons, then photographed it. It was after 7 and Chris wasn't home yet. I called his office and did not get an answer. I called his cell and he said he was on his way, having attended a second victory party. I put a bowl of bean soup in the toaster oven. When he got home, he had a bottle of ginseng beer that one of the Koreans had given him. He put on Once Upon a Time. He opened the bottle and we both tasted it: interesting. Being a fermented beverage, I figured it was a health food, right? But one taste was enough. Then he got out the apple-something bottle from the freezer. I ate my bowl of soup as we watched and he gave me sips of the apple-something. It made me sleepy. After two episodes, Chris went to bed. I stayed up to blog and see if my tapping buddy was on line. But she did not respond, so I just went to bed.

No comments: