Friday, March 24, 2017

Last minute quilt

I got up at 8. I got dressed. I drank water while finalizing the rough draft of my blog post from yesterday. I took a picture of the scoby and made the post I should have made yesterday.
I read a few e-mails, and then my tapping buddy called. It was technically her turn to be the client, but she'd just had a session with someone else, so we worked on something from my past. It went about an hour and a half. Then we hung up.
I made and ate breakfast. I listened to an audio while reading e-mail. Chris came home for lunch, surprising me because I did not realize it was so late. I looked at fabric basket tutorials online. I auditioned the purple strips I had cut to see if they would look good as piping. Meh. I decided to do it anyway. I trimmed the batting to half an inch and the backing to 2 inches. I ironed the purple strip in half. I sewed it to 3/8 inch away from the edge, so that when I folded it over, it would just barely show on the top of the quilt.
I needed a break so I called Dynee to see if she wanted to go for a walk. But she did not answer. I called Terri, but got the same result. I called Myra. She was in the middle of mopping her floor but agreed to go in half an hour. So I went back to sewing the piping to the back of the quilt. I started pinning the sides in place. Terri texted me that she was in the sauna and invited me to join her. But I had to defer because I had plans.
When Myra called, I dropped everything and walked to her house. She came out and we walked into town. Somehow we took the wrong street and ended up in the wrong place. But we headed west and found ourselves at the clock circle. We walked toward the tower and found the place that she could pay her internet bill. Then we went to Woori bank. I made the usual ATM transaction. Then we walked back to Admiral Yi circle. She wanted peppers, so we went to a new little store. I got strawberries and a pineapple. We brought our purchases back to the base.
But instead of going home, we went to Security to get her car and then to the commissary. She wanted potatoes to make 50+ pounds of potato salad for Sunday. But the potatoes weren't here yet. We got other stuff she needed. Kim asked me to make man-gifts for some boxing contest. So I bought some Slim-Jims and stuff like that, plus two large purple cabbages for me. There was lots of talking and standing around. I was exhausted. Finally we checked out and got in her car. Scott was on his way home from work, so he drove us. First we went to their parking lot. Kim was delivering eggs for the potato salad. Then they dropped me off at my house. I carried the stuff inside and left it on the kitchen floor.
I finished pinning the sides in place. Getting the corners folded right was a real bear! I sewed the corners of the quilt by hand. Then I stitched down the piping to the front of the quilt, completing it. I called Myra to see if now was a good time to pick up the labels. But she was making supper. So I ate some pineapple and read e-mail. She called and talked to me while she walked over here. She handed me two quilts and 5 labels. I showed her the finished cat quilt. She had to leave. I got a needle and some thread. I sewed on one label. The timer rang on my bowl of bean soup, so I took a break to eat it. Then I did another one. Chris sat with me and put on “Once Upon a Time”. I finished two more labels while watching. He went to bed and I stayed up to clear a few more e-mails (and post to my blog).
* Cat quilt. Can you see the purple piping? *

No comments: