Sunday, March 19, 2017

Will I reap what I sow?

I got up soon after my alarm went off. I trimmed the corners of the quilt top. I wanted the blue flannel for the back but there wasn't enough. I laid the last of the green flannel on the floor. I covered it with the fusible batting, then laid the quilt top on it. I pinned it, then fused it. Then I sat down to check e-mail and drink a quart of water. The lemons were gone and so were the limes, so I put some vinegar in it.
At the appropriate time, I got ready for church. Chris came home from the Catholic service and drove me to the chapel for the Protestant service. I sat with Ms. Pae. She told me that she had changed her mind about people of two different religions getting married after seeing that Chris and I go to different services. Then the chaplain started the service. We sang the praise songs and I realized I hadn't practiced them this week. The chaplain talked about the communion meal being comfort food. After communion, we read the Bible passage about the second three plagues. He talked about them and then gave the announcements for the week.
I had noticed through the glass doors that Chris was waiting in the narthex. He came in and talked to people while I went to the restroom. Then we walked to the commissary for groceries. I drove us home. We put the food away and changed our clothes. I called Myra to see if she wanted to walk to the bank, but she was helping her husband clean a table. I made and ate breakfast. Then I texted Terri but did not get a response, so I called Dynee and she didn't answer either. So I asked Chris and he went with me. On the way back, we stopped at the corner market and bought strawberries, cucumbers and a cabbage. We carried them home and put them in the fridge.
I read e-mail for a bit. I made little pots out of toilet paper tubes to plant the sprouted pea seeds in. I filled a seed tray with dirt and planted more seeds. All of this went into the entryway to encourage growth. Then I raked leaves in the front yard. I put them into the large planter and stomped them down. I added more leaves and more. When it was almost full, I picked up the pots of dead plants from last year and upended them into the planter. The dirt seemed to be sifting between the leaves so I covered them with packing paper. Then I filled it up with the reclaimed dirt. I planted 5 yellow pansies in the front and two yellow and purple pansies in another container nearby. I tidied up the flower beds and watered them. I sprinkled seed heads into the back of the planter. I put all the tools away.
I washed up and checked e-mail again. I found myself looking at pics of modern quilts, wondering where the next inspiration would come. I remembered our project this week was supposed to be applique. I hadn't been able to decide what to applique when the thought of a butterfly came into mind. So I picked out a piece of fabric with butterflies on it. I cut one out and pinned it to a cheap towel with a piece of paper under it. I straight-stitched around it and removed the pins. Then I zig-zagged around it and added antennae. I took several pictures of it. I posted it to the community page with a blurb that said I would provide the butterfly but students needed to bring their own towel to class. I found a round glass and traced around a butterfly and cut it out. The next butterfly was cut out in a square. Although I had stitched around the insect itself, I thought some people might find it easier to sew around a circle or square. Then I went back to reading e-mail. Chris roasted eggplant in the oven. I ate it with a chicken leg and some roasted cabbage. Later we watched two or three episodes of Merlin, finishing season 5: Merlin admits he does magic and Arthur dies. Kind of a downer. Chris and I dressed the bed with fresh sheets. Chris went to bed while I stayed up to post to my blog.
* or shall I rip what I sew? *

No comments: