Sunday, March 26, 2017

Community cook-out for marines

I got up around 8:30 when Chris came back to take his shower before church. I read e-mail and drank water. Chris left for church. I read an e-book on vaccines written by an immunologist. About 9:40 I took my shower and got dressed for church. I finished reading the e-book. Chris came home to get me. I put on my shoes and we went to the car.
He dropped me off at the chapel. I sat in my usual pew. When the praise singing was almost over, Chantal came in and sat with me. The chaplain introduced communion by saying that he wasn't a biologist but he thought every living thing ate or consumed something. He allowed that there might be some organisms that don't. I wanted to point out that the definition of living organism was one that eats and excretes. The lesson was about plagues 7 – 9.
After the sermon, the chaplain announced the the potluck was being moved to the commissary because of the community event for the marines was already prepared. So ladies took their food from the chapel to the tables in front of the commissary. Chris came to get me, but we just walked over to the commissary. There were bouncy houses for the kids, and a blow-up boxing ring for adults. Wearing a dress and heels, I could not do any of that. I stood around while Chris talked to one of the marines. Then we got in line for food. I found a few things I could eat. We sat at one of the metal picnic tables with more marines. It was cold and a little overcast.
After eating, we went inside to shop for a few more things (like lemons). Then we came out. I said goodbye to Myra and Katelyn who were helping to serve food. Myra said she was up until midnight peeling the 50 lbs of potatoes. Then Chris drove us home.
I found a bag on the front porch. Terri left me a pair of shoes she couldn't wear and my scarf. I tried on the shoes but they were too narrow. Chris put away the food while I changed into pants and a top. I read a little e-mail, and looked up the plagues and then took a nap.
Then Chris and I walked to the bank and back. We got rained on for awhile. Before we went home, we stopped at the commissary for the bowl he delivered the brownies in. But he didn't see it. I called Myra and she said it was in the break room. Oh well. When we got home, I finished reading about the plagues. One scholar said they resembled the creation story, as if God was uncreating Egypt. I looked for fabric Easter basket tutorials. Chris plugged his computer up to the TV and we watched episodes of Once Upon a Time all evening. Then he went to bed and I stayed up to blog.
* I did not get any pics of the cook-out, but here is one from the baby shower where we passed around 'dirty' diapers to guess what kind of chocolate bar was melted inside. Did I mention I am not a fan of baby shower games? *

No comments: