Friday, March 10, 2017

Like Christmas in March

I got up about 8. I heard the text message sound and found a text from Myra who was on her way to Busan. We texted back and forth. I did some cleaning in the back left corner of the bedroom. That spot has some feng shui significance. I drank a quart of water and put on the next installment of the Thyroid Secret while reading e-mail. I paused it to start making breakfast. I got sidetracked and called Suzanne to ask if I could go with her to the chimjilbang on Monday.
As I was talking to Suzanne, I heard the text message beep again from my phone. After the call, I checked and found two messages from the Chinese Visa Application Center. One had an account number for me to transfer payment by 1pm. The other was to confirm our mailing address. It was in Korean. I decided to compare it syllable by syllable with the address Chris had given me. The second syllable was different. So I sought help. I headed to the chapel to ask the Korean lady there. But as I passed Housing, the head man came out and asked where I was going and why. When I explained, he said he could help me. He read the messages, then went inside to ask another man to call the message sender. I waited while he talked to the visa lady and made some sort of arrangements for the visas to be sent to the front gate where we could pick them up (probably next week). I thanked him and went home. I called Chris to say I needed to go to the bank and he suggested taking Michele's card. I resumed making breakfast.
Chris came home for lunch about 11. He handed me Michele's bank card. I was in the middle of making breakfast, so I finished the making and commenced with the eating. He also left two packages by my laptop. One was from Swansons and the other from my sister. It was full of Christmas gifts, mostly not wrapped. I pulled out a calendar and immediately hung it on the wall. I reached in again and pulled out another calendar, but I did not know where to hang it. Reaching in again, I pulled out a roll of Sudoku toilet paper. I thought it was very funny because when someone finishes a puzzle, they are probably ready to wipe. In Korea it is a good idea to carry toilet paper with you. And they don't flush the paper; it goes in the trash basket. So everyone will know that someone brought Sudoku paper.
I realized that I was getting distracted from my primary mission. So I put on a light coat and a scarf. I headed off post and turned right. I walked to the circle and crossed to the diagonal street. I walked until I got to the next circle. Fortunately the bank was on my left so I did not have to cross the street. I walked inside and found the teller machines. I scrutinized one carefully until I found a button market “Foreign Languages”. I pressed it. I won't list all the attempts I made to gain access to the account, but in the end, I exhausted the choices and it kept spitting out Michele's card. I walked into the lobby and looked around for help. Presently a lady came forward. With little explanation she understood that I wanted to withdraw cash and transfer money to an account. She had no trouble getting cash from the machine with Michele's card. She filled out a form, then had me wait for the next teller. She went with me to explain about the account number which I showed her from the message on my phone. But they needed the name of the account holder and “Chinese Visa application center” was not quite it. So I called the message sender and handed the phone to the lady. A short conversation later, she had the info she needed and the transaction had taken place.

I left the bank and walked east to see where the street came out. It was at the little park by the train station. I found a seat in the sun near the building. There was classical music playing from somewhere. I had an enjoyable time reading my book in the sunlight. After reading so many pages about the benefits of vitamin C and how the higher the dosage, the greater the benefit, I could not resist walking home to get some. Lately my strategy has been to take a gram here and there during the day rather than one huge amount just in the morning. On my way up the hill, I got a text from Dynee. She wanted to return some quilting items I had lent her. So I knocked on her door when I got home. She let me in and asked me how I was feeling. I said I was sad and she said she was sad, too. Come to find out, we were both sad about our stay not being extended. We had a nice chat about that, how it must be part of God's plan. We also talked about going to the chimjillbang to sweat on Monday. She also said there were ladies on post who wanted to buy a quilt from me. I said I didn't think it was legal and she said all I needed was a letter from the CO.
I went home to have lunch. I listened to the second (and last) tapping audio for today. The situation with Chris not getting extended reminded me of an incident long ago at Crestar. I spent quite some time tapping for that. I looked up one of the people I used to know. Chris came home from work. He asked how things went at the bank and I told him the whole story. Then he changed his clothes. He made himself supper. I put a bowl of bean soup in the toaster oven to heat, then made and ate a salad.
I used the sync and charge cable from the gift box to download pics from my phone. It also allowed me to upload a pic to the camera. Then we went through the box together, opening the items that were wrapped and guessing who they were for. There was a lot of chocolate for Chris. I didn't touch it because it would have melted in my hands. Gotta love those hot flashes.
We watched two episodes of Merlin. Chris went to bed. I took more vitamin C with melatonin and magnesium. I typed up my blog, which seemed unreasonably long. After posting it, I went to bed.
* This is where I sat to read in the park.*

No comments: