Saturday, March 25, 2017

Operation Shower

I woke up from a weird dream. I got up and discovered it was 9:30 already.
I called Myra to see if she thought we needed a gift for Bernie since we had already given her two quilts. But she did not answer. Chris put two loads of laundry in while I made a hooded baby towel. Myra called back to say she didn't think we should give Bernie another homemade gift. Chris went to work, telling me to run the dishwasher as soon as the washing machine finished. I finished the towel project. I made and ate breakfast. I made banana cookies and ran the dishwasher. I discovered that my towel was in the wash and the dishwasher was still running, so I did not take a shower, just washed up and got dressed.
At 1:30 I packed a sewing kit and went to the baby shower at Carolyn's house. I ran into Akia on the way, so we walked in together. The blue and yellow quilt was draped over a chair. I sat down to sew a label on it, but discovered that I had forgotten the thread. Carolyn's husband found me some white thread and I sewed the label on. Myra arrived just as I started. She had a quilt that needed a label, too. Then the pregnant mothers began to arrive. I got up so one of them could sit down. Myra and Anna and Dynee were deciding which quilts to put in whose basket. When everyone was there, the pregnant women were encouraged to start the food line. After we all ate, there were the inevitable games. One was a multiple choice games – my team did not do so well. Then there was a name that tune in which all the song titles had the word baby in them. But I did not know any of the songs; too recent. Then someone melted different chocolate bars in disposable diapers and passed them around for us to guess which. Tammy (next to me) got all five right. Then the pregnant women lined up by their baskets (from Operation Shower which sends baby gift baskets to military moms)for pictures. Then they sat in the livingroom and the baskets were set at their feet. They were given the go-ahead to examine the contents. Then they were each handed a note from their husband, and given a vase of flowers. It was touching. Myra told them that we had extra quilts if they wanted to trade out, but no one did. Mostly they did not look at the quilts we had given them. We all chatted a little longer and then I decided it was time for my walk.
On the way back from the party, I ran into Terri. She was walking her dog. She had me give treats to Lulu. Then she went home to drop off Lulu while I went inside to drop off my quilts and get ready for my walk to the bank. I looked out the window for her. When she arrived, I went out. We walked to the bank and back. We felt a few raindrops. I saw my pea plants on the front porch and asked Chris if it was ok to leave them there overnight. They are getting so tall.
I put some bean soup in the toaster oven to heat. I ate some strawberries and pineapple. Chris made brownies while I wrapped prizes for tomorrow. I did not want to use the good red ribbon that my sister sent but I had no other. I looked for the cheap ribbon I bought in Masan, but could not find it anywhere.
We watched several episodes of Once Upon a Time. I finished one Sudoku puzzle while watching and two more afterward. I read a little e-mail and wrote my blog post. And then it was time for bed.

No comments: