Saturday, March 18, 2017

Visiting the Carl Vinson

I got up before 8, read e-mail and drank water. Chris ran the dishwasher and went to work. I started the laundry. I listened to an audio while I made up supplements for 12 days and washed the dishes that would not fit in the dishwasher. I ordered more supplements. I made up more spice mix. I ate nuts and an apple. I cut borders for the quilt top and auditioned piping but decided against it. I sewed the borders on. I got a text from Terri. Her hand was doing better. I invited her for a walk to the bank. She declined. I called Myra. She was getting ready to go to the event in Busan. I didn't want to go but decided I would go to support her. Chris came home from work and put on a suit. I took a shower and investigated what to wear. I looked up what I wore last time. I changed several times, opting for a red top with black pants and a red/black scarf with a black jacket. I folded the dark laundry. I put my fanny pack in my Sunday handbag and we went to the car. Chris drove us to the 606. We parked and joined the people waiting for the bus. We chatted until it arrived and then we all got on. Myra sat with Anna and I sat with Chris. The bus stopped outside the base to pick up people who were not from the base – Koreans nationals. We waited for the CSO to arrive and then we headed out. There was no one for me to talk to so I fell asleep on the way. It took a long time just to get out of Jinhae because of the traffic. I woke up before we arrived at the ROK base in Busan. We were waved through security at the gate. Then the bus dropped us off at the pier. It was windy and I was glad I had a wrap in addition to my light jacket. We walked down the pier and up the steps to the air craft carrier. Inside the bay, tables of food were set up and drinks were on the far side. I felt quite dry so we went to find water. We also got some small skewers of meat and veggies. Then the ceremony began. It was hard to hear because the mikes kept shorting out. There was a line of important men and each one said a few words in his own language which were then translated afterward. That concluded the ceremony, but then a drum band started to play. It was impossible to hold a conversation. We got another small plate of food and Chris brought me more water. Then he joined all the people on the flight elevator for a ride topside. I did not join him because I had gone last time and it was windy and cold up there. I walked around the room because there was no place to sit. I talked to Chelsea. I saw Myra and Anna briefly. I said hello to Mandi. She wanted some cake but the first tier was gone and the second hadn't been started. I found someone to cut the cake for her. Then others came to get more cake. That cake was at the end of a table which held a really LARGE cake shaped like the ship. I met Commander Suchiya and his wife. He told me all about the ships and how the spaces are labeled so you can find your way. When I noticed it was after 7, I got worried. We were supposed to meet the bus at 7. But Chris hadn't come back from the flight deck. So I called him. He said the elevator had broken and he was taking the steps. I found someone to show me where the women's bathroom was. I would never had found it on my own. Why is the bathroom not near the hanger bay? Anyway, there was a line and I had to wait, hoping I wasn't holding up the bus. When I returned, Chris was waiting for me in line to leave. I joined him. He said I had made the commmander's day by listening intently to his talk about ships he had been on. Then we followed the line, shaking hands with the Admiral as we left. The commander took me aside to point out the numbers which told you where you were on the ship. Then we exited the vessel, taking the steps down to the pier. We walked back to the bus area. We met Paul of MWR who had tents set up to sell food to the sailors on shore leave. Soon we boarded the bus with the last of the others. Once it was certain everyone was present, we left. The ride home was shorter with less traffic. I listened to the men talk for a bit, and then they were silent. As we neared the base, I made certain to look for the door of the Foot Shop. But it was still locked up tight. I showed the picture of their new sign to Ms. Pae, but she said it was just proclaiming a discount; nothing about a re-opening. Then we paused at the gate while the Korean nationals got off. A guard checked our ID's and looked under the bus to see that nothing had been attached. The bus took us back to where we started. We got in our car and came home. We changed our clothes. We finished the episode of Merlin from last night and watched one more. Chris went to bed and soon I shall join him.

No comments: