Sunday, February 5, 2023

The Awards Ceremony

Friday

I got up, having slept fairly well. I checked my list, then took liver sauce, brushed and swished. I packed a carryon with underwear, jewelry, makeup, and supplements. I packed some food and water for the trip. I showered and got dressed. I searched my laptop for pics of me with a good haircut. Michelle texted me that she was here, so I quickly packed up my laptop. I carried out the dress and the carryon and water.

She was driving with her family in the back and had me sit in the passenger side seat. She talked all the way to Salt Lake City. Then she followed the GPS to the beauty academy. We waited for a parking space, then parked. We were early. She and I and her daughter went inside while Casey and Cedric drove off.

We three checked in and had to sign a waiver. Then we sat down. A lady came to get me and seated me in a barber's chair. Her instructor came over to talk about what I wanted. I showed them a pic of me at the Navy Ball, but the haircut didn't really show. So I described it as best I could remember. The instructor gave the student very specific directions and demonstrated each part. The student admitted that she liked barbaring with clippers better. I wondered if she had done female haircuts before. It took a long time, plus having the instructor verifiy the cut at regular intervals.

After the haircut, I asked if I could get a manicure. So I sat with Michelle, who was getting an elaborate hairstyle until another student was ready. Then the student washed my nails, shaped them, addressed the cuticles, massaged my hands, then applied a clear polish. I went to pay for the services, then sat and talked to Michelle who was getting her nails done.

She called Casey and he showed up later. He let me get some cheese squares out of my luggage. He talked to Michelle while I ate. Then he drove to the hotel to check in. I was able to check in as well. Later he and Cedric and I walked to Hobby Lobby. I looked at fabric. Then they left to pick up Michelle. I walked around, choosing fabrics that caught my eye, but hoping for Valentine fabric. Nope. I found some dark blue filmy stuff for a wrap. Then I had the fabrics cut. That's when Michelle arrived with Isodora. We looked for a clutch for her. Then she ran to Ross to look. As I was paying for the fabric, Chris called to say he was at the hotel and needed the key card to get into our room So she and I left the store and found her father in his car. We got in and he drove past Ross to pick up Michelle, and soon we were back at the hotel.

I met Jenni as I walked in, and said hi. Then I saw Chris. We went up to our room. He set my laptop on the desk and got his out. He asked for the password and I didn't know. So I went down to the front desk and they said it wasn't needed. So I came back up and got online. Soon Chris was on as well. I deleted a bunch of e-mail, then started reading. I worked on my blog. I took my daily supplements. I realized I didn't have any of my EMF-mitigating necklaces. Apparently I didn't put them on after the shower.

Jenni invited me to her room to give advice on ironing her dress. Then I went back to my room to iron my dress and the shimmery fabric I bought. Michelle came by and wanted to see my dress. So I put it on. She recommended the blue fabric as a wrap and we went to Jenni's room and put on make-up. When I got back, I put on the underclothes and shoes that go with the dress. Then we bundled up and headed out.

Chris drove us to the venue. We stood in a long line to sign in. All my friends were ahead of us in line. When we finally signed in, we were directed to table 4. There were name tags to tell us where to sit. Then a bunch of people stood up and spoke, giving toasts, etc. Finally we were given the go-ahead to eat. So we ate the salad in front of us. Then waiters brought a plated meal, consisting of mashed potatoes, beef, chicken, one piece of broccoli, and one cauliflower. Dessert was already on the table. Some people got cheesecake and some got big chocolate chip brownies.

There was a long awards ceremony where people had to come up on stage, accept a medal, and receive a paper or plaque. They had to shake hands with about 6 or 7 officials, including Chris, and get their picture taken. I tried to sit up straight and look attentive the whole time.

At the end, the line of men sat down and someone said some closing words. Then the talking and music started. Chris introduced me to folks. I talked to people at our table, then others around. Diane wanted a pic with me. I wanted a pic of all the ladies who wore ball gowns: only about 8. The rest wore various attire from nice dresses to shirt and jeans.

I invited Chris to dance and then at least one other couple did. My friends trickled out after that and I got caught in conversations. So we didn't leave until 9:30. We got back to the hotel and I changed into my bathing suit. I joined Michelle and Jenni in the hot tub. We were in for close to an hour. We got out, and I slipped on the wet tile, but wasn't hurt. I went up to our room to make tea, but there was only coffee. So I went down to the lobby and they only had black tea. So I went back to the room and looked at e-mail for awhile, and jotted notes for my blog. Then I put my computer to sleep and Chris did his as well. He went to bed and I turned off the lights and went around covering the tiny lights that show on the computers, before doing stretches and crawling under the covers.

* I forgot to mention that some people went around collecting the uneaten desserts to take home *

No comments: