Saturday, March 25, 2023

Rabbit Stew

Thursday

I got up at 8:30. After the usual preliminaries, I rinsed the seeds and sat to read e-mail. I listened to a talk on CBDC's and the plan to make them legal tender, which means they have to be accepted to erase debt even if the proprietor would rather have some other form of payment. At noon, I made breakfast and ate it while watching The Highwire. There was a lot of talk about the banking industry and then autism. Jenny McCarthy is building a home for autistic children to go when their parents are too old to care for them.

After the show, I got ready for walking. By then it was raining. I went to the gym and met Jenni. She signed up for the Bushcraft cooking class, then we walked around the track for almost half an hour. We went downstairs and asked where the class would be and they indicated a blue tarp/tent structure out by the parking lot.

We walked over and hung out for a bit, asking questions. Then we left. I went home to get a folding chair and a puzzle for game night. I searched through boxes in the shed, hoping to find a puzzle, but no. There were boxes in the garage, but they were up high where I couldn't really reach them. I tried the Big Bang Theory, and set it up and read the directions. But there was too much Rock-paper-scissors-lizard-Spock in it. So I took Scrabble instead.

I went back to the gym. The chair wasn't needed because there was space on the benches. There was a fire pit which had burned down so there were embers. There were several other coal containers and a gas stove set up. The kids roasted marshmallows on sticks and made smores. Men demonstrated cooking a freshly skinned rabbit on a stick over the fire. Bacon was cooked in a dutch oven, then rabbit meat was added, and vegetables. It made a stew. Another man cooked bison and vegetables from the commissary using coals and the gas stove. Jenni and I each had some. We had some rabbit, too.

It went longer than expected, especially the rabbit stew. So I got to Game Night an hour late and smelling like wood smoke (which I like). I sat with Tonja and Jeff. Jenni and Michelle came over and we played Scrabble. Michelle left early. After the game, Jenni went to help with a puzzle. I talked to Tonja for awhile. Steve came over to say hi, then Jamie dropped by. She ended up at the puzzle table. Finally Jerry came over as I was about to get up. We discussed ways of killing gophers. And then I big all a goodbye and went home.

Chris wasn't feeling great so he went to bed early. I rinsed my sprouts and sat down to read e-mail. Then I remembered my blog and spent some time on it. I listened to “You're so Vain” and some other Carly Simon songs. It really took me back.

No comments: