Sunday, March 19, 2023

Struggling with the machines

Saturday

I had trouble sleeping and got up really late. I did the usual things, then rinsed the sprouts and jotted notes for last night. I read e-mail, and drank lemon water. I learned about the advantages of small local banks. Credit unions are insured by a different entity than FDIC.

I read e-mail. At noon I made and ate breakfast. I took a shower and threw some fabric together, I straightened the edges of the fabrics I chose, and cut 8” strips. I packed the machines, fabric and notions into my car. I headed out, stopping at the post office for mail. But the box of supplements was not there. :(

I arrived at the chapel and Tonja was waiting. I unlocked the door and we went in and set up in the fellowship hall. I went back to my car for two more machines. Saronna's girls ran up to me and each took a sewing machine and carried it in.

Tonja helped me set up the machines. Saronna wrote the instructions on the board while I narrated the steps. I unpacked the fabrics and got people started. Tonja helped them cut the fabrics of their choice into the appropriate size strips. Isadora and Avry came late, but that was good, meaning we didn't have as much of a run on the machines at one time.

Wilhelm wanted to sew and he is 5, so I spent more time with him than the others. I tried to keep an eye on all participants to avoid mistakes before they got sewn in. I did catch a few. And Tonja caught a few. Then at the end, she and I needed to help Isadora and Avry with the last step of their projects, but the machines (both Singers) would not cooperate. I think we spent over an hour trying to figure out why we were getting thread nests on the back. Usually it means the foot wasn't down, but that wasn't it. The thread had jumped out of the take-up lever, but fixing that did not fix the problem. We re-threaded and got new bobbins. I finished one by hand. I finished Avery's with the machine. Then they left and the new couple helped us pack up and tote our stuff back to our cars.

I went home and brought all my stuff back in the house. I made a mental note to refill all the empty bobbins. I listened to podcasts for 3 hours, making supper and eating it. Then I worked on my blog. Chris wasn't here to watch TV with, so I sat in a chair and read a book for three hours. I went to bed after midnight.

No comments: