Saturday, June 24, 2023

We let the magic blue smoke out

Friday

I woke up slowly, waiting for the 8am alarm. Nature made me get up and I was astonished to find it was 9:45. I got ready for the day. I watered the outdoor plants. I went to the garden to water and fertilize. I planted a few more seeds. When I got home, I planted the rest of the seedlings here and there. I looked online for an explanation of the solution for the lightbridge near the map room (in DIG). Jamie called to ask me to give some cash to her kids and take it out of her share. So I ran over to her house and handed her son some money. I made a notation on the 610B envelop to reflect it.

I made and ate breakfast and checked Facebook. Had I known how this day would turn out, I would have posted about the potluck on Sunday instead of making a note to post later.

Chris came back from the office and we went over the grocery list. He packed the cooler and we headed to Tooele, listening to the book on CD. We shopped at Luckeys and I walked to Melanies. We had a nice chat. Then I got in the car and we went to Cal Ranch for onion sets. They were out, but we did get a metal hose ender. Then we went to Macey's for hydrogen peroxide and tortillas.

When we got back to base, we stopped at the commissary for a few more things, like sesame oil. Then we went home and unloaded the food. Chris asked me to put my laptop in sleep mode so he could replace the battery with the new one that he had ordered. He had to look up how to get the bottom off, and it was complicated. The old battery had a label on the bottom, so Chris put the new one in the same way. But smoke wisped up from the connection. He pulled it out and turned it around. With a sinking feeling, he put everything back together. We plugged it into the power source, but it was unresponsive.

With no access to internet, I turned my attention to the hall closet. I had two sets of shelves to put in there, both bigger than the one already there. I wiped them down. The first one went in easily. But the second one was a tight fit. When done, I was able to get everything back in the closet and on a shelf. But what to do with the original small set? And there was an extra shelf leg.

I threw my wash cloth in the washer along with the towels from the Antelope Inn. I heated a steak for dinner. I ate it outside on the back porch. Michelle and Casey came by to get the carpet shampooer and some floor cleaner. Chris was online trying to order me a new laptop. Casey said my laptop might be salvageable. Then I typed up notes for my blog on the desktop. I may not be able to post now, but at least the info is here for when I can.

I mowed some of the yard and did a little edging. Then I got stuff together and went to Michelle's house for game night. I returned her half gallon jars. We talked about the sale, and a few other things. I gave Casey my laptop. He needed a special screwdriver so he went to my house to get it and to return the carpet shampooer. He tested the components while I played the game, with hints from Michelle since she had internet on her phone. His conclusion was that it was not revivable, but the data could be retrieved from the hard drive. I used Michelle's phone to call Chris and give him the ok to order me a new laptop.

The game went slowly as I tried to figure out why this or that wasn't working. Then, around 11, we finaly broke through. It was time to leave, but we had just found an ancient alien who would answer our questions and we made him tell us everything he knew. There is more to do, but now we know that we are rescuing them from wherever they went and can't return.

I left at 11:30 to go home. Chris was in bed. He'd left the internet on but there was nothing I could do with it. I turned it off, did my evening stretches and went to bed.

No comments: