Friday, July 14, 2023

Change of Command ceremony


Thursday

I woke up hearing Reveille. Later Chris came in to take his shower and we discussed the Change-of-command ceremony. He left. I got up to brush, etc. I went outside to water the plants and saw a guy come to clean the gutters. We spoke briefly. He got to work and I continued to water. I especially watered the plants in the new planter. They dry out so quickly. Then I worked on my blog.

Chris came home before 8:30 to get me. So I quit the blog and went to get dressed. He drove me to his office. As we walked through the building, we waved to people. Then at the main entrance, He introduced me to people from Hill Air Force Base.

Finally we headed to the throngs and chatted some more. We found our assigned seating. I said hello to Tonja, then took my seat. The ceremony began precisely at 9. The colors were presented. The Dugway flag was passed around. Then the speeches began. During one, there was a low fly-over of 3 planes. A general spoke, then both incoming and outgoing colonels spoke. Then the colors were retired.

And then it was over, so the MC said. Jenni came up to say hi, so I took her over to the colonels' wives and introduced her, also to the incoming CSM's wife. Then Chris said we had to attend the reception. (Here I thought I was going home) So we WALKED over to the community club. Thankfully Chris brought me a glass of water. He introduced me to more people, mostly men. We stood in line to greet the new colonel, although they met us already. They invited us to dinner next Friday night. I invited them to draw on my wall. (he mentioned in his speech that they were welcomed by a drawing on their chalk wall).

Then we went to the food table and put veggies and fruit and cheese on plates. We ate in the other room with Jenni. Chris left to schmooze. Jamie came over to chat. She gave me a key to a new place to clean. I introduced her to CSM's wife and the new colonel's wife. Jamie left and soon the colonel and his family left, too. MWR was cleaning up the food so I asked if they were just going to throw it away. She said she had to ask. So I gave her my number and said to call.

Chris and I walked back to Headquarters and his car. We picked up some brick flowerbed liners. He drove me home. I changed clothes. I put on the Highwire. He went back to work. MWR came by with the food. I took it to Saronna, along with a bag of fruit tree fertilizer. We chatted about that and his surgery.

I went home and finished The Highwire. CJ came by with two dozen eggs. I whipped up a batch of seed crackers. I froze several sets of three eggs. I hardboiled some of the older ones. The shells were very thin and some cracked when I washed them.

I jotted notes for my blog. I added a pic to yesterday's blog post. I put the seed crackers in a container and went to the party at the pavillion. I put the container on a table and walked to the swap shop. Tonja had asked me to stop by. We chatted for some time. Then I went back to the party. Chris was there, sitting with a table of women and telling his stories. I sat and talked to Saronna and Jenni. While others ate a variety of stuff, I pretty much stuck to the watermelon.

Around 8, I texted Chris that I was ready to leave. But he didn't notice, so I had to walk over and be less subtle. We left, forgetting to say goodbye to Heather who is leaving. When we got home, I made tea and drained the eggs. We watched two episodes of Andromeda. Chris went to bed and I stayed up to post to my blog. Then I put the eggs away and made up a week of supplement. Then I listened to some audio and paused to to go to bed.

 

No comments: