Tuesday, July 11, 2023

It's a two gopher day

 


Monday 

I woke up slowly and early. I heard Chris come back from working out with the colonel. He laid in bed for a bit to recover, then got up and took his shower and went to work.

I got up to start my day in the usual ways. I got dressed and went by the company house to check for stripped sheets, but there was a vehicle in the driveway. So I proceeded on to the garden. I spread coffee grounds. I dug up a gopher hole and watered all the dirt back in. Then I saw the gopher, wet and bumbling, trying to get away. I found a rock and … wiped the blood off my hand. I watered the strawberries and refilled the jugs.

When I got home, I watered my plants, inside and out. A gopher had moved into the tunnel recently 'vacated' near the sprinkler head. I evicted him in the usual way.

I washed up, and sent a message to the company office. I read e-mail and listened to Dr. Jane. Then the whole computer horked up. Nothing could stop the blue swirly, so I triggered the 'updates' and moved over to the desk top. But it wasn't cooperating either. So I went outside and weeded the tower garden.

When I came in, I was able to sign in to the laptop and this time it cooperated.  I read e-mail until 11:30.  Then I went to the community club for the going-away party for Col Bryan Hoffman.  Chris handed me a bowl of lettuce with chicken and croutons.  He sat me at a table with two other ladies.  He introduced me to them, and I sat down.  They never spoke to me again.   I ate for a bit, then Chris came over to lead me to the new chaplain and his wife.  They were speaking to the colonel, so we waited to be introduced.  Then we had a nice conversation and Chris led me back to the table to finish my salad.  

Just before my last bite, the 'show' started.  There was a montage of pics of the colonel here at Dugway.  Then people from different departments got up to say a few words and hand the colonel some token.  Chris gave him a crosscut of the power pole that the colonel had cut down so he could have a better view from his house.  Then the colonel spoke.  He thanked departments and people for all they had done.  But strangely never mentioned Chris.  

When it was over, I headed out.  I stopped to say hi to a few people, including Revonna.  Then I went home for a moment, then to Tim's house for 3 hours, which included call from William.  

I went home for supper (which was what I would normally eat for breakfast).  I listened to some podcast.  Chris came home from work and made his supper.  I packed my car with music and sewing.  I drove to the chapel.  I carried in two sewing machines to store in a back room.  I played piano while waiting for someone to arrive, but no one did.  I texted Chris to come and make out, figuring that THEN someone would show up. But no one did. At 7:30 I went home.

I was going to fill a big pot with soil and transplant a bean, but I saw Kasie across the street with her dogs. I went over to talk to her. She said Erin might want some of the stuff left behind. I called Jamie to tell her and she said she'd contact Erin.

I made tea and we watched two episodes of Andromeda. Then Chris went to bed and I stayed up to look up a couple characters and some Myst stuff.

No comments: