Thursday, August 3, 2023

A missed opportunity AND the milk that wouldn't cheese

Tuesday

I got up at 8am. I pulled a greasy dish from the oven and wiped the grease out, then filled it with soapy water. I watered a little outside. I wrote up an invoice for company cleaning in July. Then it rained.

At 9:30 I went to 607 to clean for 2h. I finished the downstairs. I went home for breakfast. Brittany to say the club had to throw out frozen food, but it was nicely packaged in boxes. I wasn't tall enough to go get it, so I called Jenni. But she was out in town. Chris came home for lunch and heard the conversation. He told me to stay out of it.

I listened to some videos. Saronna texted that she was out in town too and would not be able to attend sewing this weekend. I went cleaning again around 2:30. I noticed that the garage to 603 was open. It's our next house to clean. I went in to look around, then grabbed stuff from the fridge and shut the garage door. I cleaned at 607 for 2h+, working upstairs and mopping floors. I grabbed the stuff back from fridge and came home.

I ate leftover steak, and potatoes. I readied the leftover milk for fermenting. Chris came home. He saw the weasel and suggested I leave out a bowl of water for it.

I worked on my blog, and heated tea. We watched two episodes of Andromeda. Chris gathered the stuff for his trip. He kissed me and headed out for SLC and his red-eye flight.

I read e-mail and listened to a long discussion of cell salts and the astrological chart. Chris texted me when he got to the airport. I continued listening and playing solitaire. Then I got ready for bed.

** Five years difference in weather reports. The temps were green, then went down, and are now highlighted in red. Gaslighting? **

THE MILK THAT WOULDN'T CHEESE

Wednesday

I got up as my alarm went off. I started coffee morning. I went outside to water and found glistening transparent globs on the back porch. They were re-hydrated crystals. I gathered them up as best I could since the dehydrated ones are sharp on the feet.

I made coffee, then meditated and tapped and prayed. I cleaned the bathrooms and kitchen. I added some goat milk to the LAB, and soaked some cashews and sunflower seeds. People came over to inspect the door repair. They said Chris called about it. They took pics and left. They came back later with Collie and he said they'd fix it in a nicer way.

After they left, I finished washing dishes. I did some mopping and vacuuming. The vacuum wasn't doing a good job so I looked up videos online to diagnose the problem. I cleaned two of the filters.

I met Michelle at the gym at 4:30. I told her I needed to work on my vacuum-lifting muscles. I used the machines she indicated. We talked about her recent trip and her previous trip. We chatted outside the gym, then kids arrived and she went to the pool to watch them.

I went to the library to drop off the book on CD and pick up a new one. I chose two new ones. The librarian offered me prizes for the reading project. I chose the tote bag and a highlighter.

Then I went to the post office to get our mail. I looked in the swap shop to see if anything new came in. I heard someone next door, and went to see the lady who is prepping the space for a yoga studio. We chatted and I saw there was leftover stuff that had no place to go. I said I'd look into it.

I went home. I called Chris. He said to contact his deputy tomorrow. I vacuumed the carpeted areas of the house, and then took a shower. I put away dry dishes and got out the big pot. I poured in the goat milk and heated it. While waiting, I went through all the sunflower sprouts, picking out the good sprouts and leaving the detritus.

The milk would not quite get to 180. Thinking maybe it didn't matter, I added the vinegar and waited for curds, but they did not appear. I worked on my blog. I went to the garden to fertilize. All the corn was bigger, but it had tasseled without growing any ears. When I got home, the milk still hadn't cheesed. I tried adding more vinegar but that didn't work. I skimmed some off and added leftover milk and whipping cream. Then I put some probiotics in it and left it in the oven overnight. I added some whey from a previous batch to the cheese and crossed my fingers that what wouldn't curdle into cheese, could still ferment into cheese. I read e-mail for a bit, then got ready for bed. I needed a blanket because I was cold from not eating today.

No comments: