Tuesday, August 8, 2023

Swapping the old fridge for a new one

Monday

I woke up at 7:30. I got up soon and checked my phone for messages from Base Maintenance about replacing the fridge. I brushed and swished and watered the plants. Then I called Base Maintenance and there was no answer. I left a message. I called the lady from last night and there was no answer either. So I drove over to Housing. I called Jamie to see if she was done with 607 and she said the floors needed touchup. So I scheduled the inspection for this afternoon. Then I asked about the new fridge. One lady said it would be tomorrow before they could do something. Then the other lady said she would call someone and let me know.

I went home and got some floor cleaning supplies. On my way to 607, Suzi called to say the man was going to call me. So I went home. I cleared the main hallway as much as possible. I moved my car to the other side of the driveway. A man did call, and said he could be here in half an hour. So, believing him, I pulled all the magnets off the fridge, and the stuff on top. I emptied all the contents of the freezer (mostly coffee and bags of beans), and then the fridge. There was a lot (and that's after not buying groceries this weekend). A bunch of it was bottled beer and beverages.

Anyway, I wiped out the bins and shelves and waited. I got online to pass the time and wondered if my food was still good. An hour later, I called again. He said they were headed toward my house. I looked down the street and saw them. They parked in my driveway and proceeded to try to get the fridge off of the truck. Once done, they took the spring off of the screen door. They came inside to get the old fridge out, but it was bolted to the wall in the center of the back. They cut the wire and brought it forward, then handled the water line.

All in all, it took a hour to get the new one installed and put the old one on the truck. They left me with the manual. It said to allow 24 hours to reach the factory default temps. The current temp was 76, hotter than my kitchen. I got some frozen tea to put on top of the bacon, and left everything else out.

I made and ate breakfast, then went to 607 to spot clean the floors. Michelle was texting me over and over with pics of shoes and footies for sale. I spent about an hour cleaning and removing my cleaners, etc from the house. I left the cleaners at 603, and bagged the lefover stuff from the 603 fridge and went to Saronna's house. She said she could use or pass on all the items.

Then I went home to eat the last of my pistachios. I went back to 607 at 3 for the inspection, which I passed. I signed the papers and went to Housing, then remembered the keys at home. So I went home to get the keys and turned them in along with the garage remote.

I was going to walk with Michelle, but she cancelled, so I read e-mail until Chris came home. We dropped my trombone off at the chapel and went to the commissary for groceries. We talked to the manager about organic produce.

When we got home, we had a bite to eat, then went to the Community meeting at the gym. It did not last quite as long as I thought. We discussed all sorts of activities.

Then I went home with Chris, got in my car, and drove back to the chapel for band. Saronna, Karen, Sophia and Dylan came. So we had flute, string bass, djimbe, snare drum, and trombone. Since I gave the trombone part to Saronna, I played from the score and that was a little tricky. But we had a good time.

It was after 8 when I got home. Time to divvy up the money. I figured out the total number of hours and divided into $900. By adding 11 minutes to my time, it came out to an even $38/hour. About twice what we usually get. I put Jamie's share in an envelope. I texted her and she said she'd get it later.

Chris had been doing laundry since he got home. So we folded the clothes and put them away. Then I made tea and we watched two episodes of Andromeda. Chris got a suit ready for tomorrow, and went to bed. I stayed up to read e-mail, then retired for the night.

No comments: