Monday, August 28, 2023

The potluck and the watermelon

Sunday

I had not slept well (as usual for a Saturday night. I blame the pool.) I woke up thinking about how I am signing for the CSM's house to clean it and the new CSM is waiting to move in. I got up and suggested to Chris that I could clean one end of the house while they replace the carpet in the other end. Then I would clean the carpeted end. But he said I should go through with a gov't representative and spell out what is my responsibility to clean, and what cleanup is on the contractor.

Then I went outside to water the plants and annoy gophers. None came topside. I pulled some weeds that grow thorny seeds. Then I came in to jot notes for my blog. Chris took his shower, got dressed and went to Mass, which is not usually on Sunday.

I read e-mail until 11:45 then started making breakfast. At 12:30 I got dressed for church. I found a round tray and a knife for the watermelon. I carried them to the car while Chris carried my trombone. He drove us to the chapel.

We went in and I put the stuff in the kitchen. He talked to a young man playing at the keyboard. Michelle came in with two hymnals that she had spiral-bound. That made them much easier to play from. The commander and his wife came. We talked to them while Jenni and Rick came in. No SGT King, though.

Once the visiting pastor arrived, we got ready for the service. Saronna, Sophia and I played an opening hymn, then Pastor Chris started his talk. It took him most of the service to get back to the actual content of Revelation. He said a prayer, then the three of us played two closing hymns suggested by the congregation.

The commander and his wife left. We set up food in the fellowship hall. There was a vegetable tray, two kinds of chicken, my fruit watermelon, and some dessert that the pastor bought. We talked and ate. I had seconds on the chicken legs, and fruit watermelon. It was good, but the gelatin didn't stick to the rind. I guess you can't leave any watermelon behind because its too juicy.

Later we cleaned up and everybody went home. I carried the watermelon while Chris drove home. He changed his clothes while I cleaned up the extra rind and sliced it for the compost. Then I changed my clothes. I read e-mail for awhile, then went to 408 to get the leftover stuff. But Jamie had already done it. I cleaned the outside back doors, then moved more of my stuff to my car. I found my purse hanging on the inside of the door to the garage.

I went home, I watched Telegram videos until the game started. We spent a lot of time describing what our character did for three weeks of wait time. Then the DM told us what the outcomes were. He gave me a minion. So I thought about what sort of minion I might want, or would make sense. Then we played a vignette where a circus troop lost a member and we volunteered to find her. In our searching, we came upon a 10 foot spider … and the game ended due to time.

I heated tea and we watched two episodes of Andromeda. Chris went to bed and I stayed up later to read more e-mail, then I did my stretches and retired for the evening.

No comments: