Tuesday, August 8, 2023

The problem with power

Sunday

I did not sleep well so I slept late. I got up after 8. There was no power. I texted Chris about it, then brushed and swished. He wrote back later that the power should be on by 11 and if it gets too hot, I can go to ACS. I replied that the info should go out over the giant voice system. He said it doesn't work when the power is out. My reply: The emergency notification system doesn't work in an emergency?

So, I filled a spray bottle with kelp water and fertilized some of the outdoor plants. Then I went to the garden to spray those, too. My corn is short, but tasseled, so I am not expecting ears. I checked the watering system. I pulled some weeds. I picked an armload of mint stalks, put them in my trunk and went home.

I watered the plants in front and back, some with rainwater. Then I sat in the yard and shucked leaves from the mint stalks. I took all the leaves off the easy ones and saved them in large bowls. The harder ones I saved for later.

I came in and made breakfast. I ate it while reading e-mail. Then at 12:40 I threw on a dress and earrings. I put some cheese squares in a container and grabbed my trombone. I headed for the chapel.

I parked and went inside. I left the snack on the back table and unpacked my trombone up front. Michelle came and then Saronna and Sophia, and then Shawn. The young preacher man was talking about his newborn baby.

When the service started, we sang two songs. Then he preached about Paul writing to the church at Philipi. Afterward, Saronna, Sophia and I played two hyms. Then there was general conversation. Michelle asked Sgt King to tell the visiting troops about church. We had snack and the men left while the ladies talked.

When I got home, I ate some cheese squares with pickled stuff. I read e-mail and listened to something while I striped the branching stems of mint and then simmered them on the stove. I washed the two tubs of leaves and spun them dry.

I packed those in a bag and headed to Michelle's house. I stopped at the pool to pick up my watch. Then I arrived at her place. I gave her the leaves to freeze-dry. We talked for a little bit, then I went home. I ate a chicken leg with some pickled olives, etc.

I noticed water on the floor around the fridge. The freezer was out again! I texted Chris. He said to check the breaker box, which I did, but the fridge had been making normal sounds all afternoon. I flipped it's breaker off and back on. While I waited to see if it started freezing again, I went out to the car and vacuumed everything I could reach without emptying the car. Then I got a small tub of water and washed the plastic parts, and then the door wells, etc.

When I checked the freezer, it was still not frozen. I called the base maintenance number. They took my info and promised to pass it on. I ate the formerly frozen bag of raspberries while watching sequences from a Riven walkthrough. Suzi called about the freezer and promised to send the on-call person. I resumed the walk-through and paused it again when the doorbell rang. The guy checked the freezer and confirmed that it wasn't working. After he left, I resumed the sequence, pausing it before too many spoilers. I worked on my blog. After posting for Saturday, I realized that I had never posted for Wednesday, so I attached it to the Tuesday blog post.

Then it was time for bed.

No comments: