Monday, October 26, 2009

The class we were dying to take



This was our big day. I met Carina at the gate just before 9. We drove to Gate 19 where we met the other ladies who signed up to go. Not everyone showed up, but we left at 9:10. We took the subway to Sungshin station.
There we were met by a student from Sungshin University. She guided the nine of us to the campus, then to the room. The tables were set with large bowls of color, wet fabrics, and samples of the materials that they boiled to get those colors.
The professor dyed one sample in each color to demonstrate the process, then hung up the samples to dry. We were eager to try it ourselves. I did my first scarf green with a hint of yellow. Then next one I dyed purple, then tied knots in it and overdyed in red. The teacher gave me two dyed handkerchiefs as well. The president of the university stopped by to welcome us and tell us what high hopes he has for future classes with people from post. And there we were dressed in our worst clothes! After class we were invited to eat in the faculty lounge guest room. Fancy! Then we were given a tour of the university museum: one room showing arifacts from the lives of women long ago. In the picture you can see the colorful petticoat of an unmarried woman and the plain petticoat for after marriage.
The campus photographer took our picture with a statue of the founder. Then we walked back to the subway and came home. After clearing out my e-mail, I spent the rest of the afternoon and evening working on my scrap quilt. I finished the blocks from yesterday and made four more of a different kind today.

No comments: