Saturday, October 24, 2009

Tina's 50th Birthday


I got up early to meet Mary at GAte 19. I got Chris to drive me. She and I took the subway (which was fairly roomy at the time) to Dongdaemun. We went to the second floor first, where they sell drapery and upholstery fabrics. Well, they also had shiny glitzy stuff, too. I had to have some. She told me she machine washes all of her metallic purchases. You could have knocked me over with a feather! Anyway, then we went to the regular 5th floor place. I had to replace some fabrics that got used Thursday night. I also had a request for more of the Ro Gregg (Northcott) fabric. Then she wanted thread so we went down into the alley for that. She bought several bags of fabric so she was tired and we took a taxi back to the base. She drove me to Gate 52 (my gate is closed on weekends) and I walked to the apartment. I prepared all my latest fabric purchases to be washed. Some of the smaller cuts I washed in the sink. One of them bled badly so I soaked it in a high concentration of vinegar. The large pieces went into the washer with a ColorGuard sheet. That seems to take care of any bleeding problems. When it was all washed, it went into the dryer. I set my timer to allow me to take it out before it was completely dry. That makes for good ironing. But, it was time to leave for Tina's party, so I folded it damp, hoping it won't dry out before I can get back to it.

Chris drove me to the NAvy Club. I had two gift bags, each with a card and 2 yards of fabric in it. One had a piece of the Ro Gregg, the other had a piece of Tropical Twist, a London fabric. I wrote on one card, but the other was for MaryAnn to give to Tina. I got there a little early, in time to have MaryAnn sign her card and put our gifts on the gift table. Then Tina and her husband arrived. She was, as she put it, gobsmacked. She didn't guess about the party, but had been wondering why no one had teased her about turning 50, given her a present or a card, etc. I guess she thought all her friends had forgotten. Well, it was a well-attended party, there was a buffet and a cake with 50 candles on it. (I was afraid it needed asbestos frosting.) Although the invitation stated that presents were unnecessary, most did. But people started leaving before she opened them. Most had left when I stated that I wasn't leaving until every present was opened. She got jewelry, wine, tea, and fabric. Then the few of us left went home. It was just after 10. Still seemed early to me. Anyway, MaryAnn drove me to Gate 52 and I walked. All this walking is good for me, right? I got on my computer to clear out the lastest e-mails and adverts, and write to my blog. But Chris retired early so I went with him, promising myself to write in the morning.

No comments: