Friday, October 9, 2009

The Purse class


Please excuse me for not posting yesterday. After the class I was so tired that I just went to bed. Here is how the day went (as best I can remember it):
I spent the early morning preparing for class and a private sewing lesson. Then I went to the thrift shop where (shock of shocks) there were no DVD's or CD's to be shelved! But plenty of books, (sigh). I got most of them shelved and I got a stool and straightened up the books on the top shelves, which normally I cannot reach well enough. There were only a few videos to shelve. Here is a pic of our exercise section. Then at 2 I walked to Lemcy's house for her lesson. I had one prepared, but she wanted to work on a quilt for a wedding present, and to make a wall-quilt inspired by a framed print. When I was finished, I started walking back, but stopped halfway to catch the bus since my shoes were chafing. When I got home, I had something to eat, then laid down briefly before finishing my prep for the purse class. Someone had donated denim, so I packed some of that and some lighter weight stuff for linings. When Chris came home he parked the car inside the gate and walked to the apt. So I carried my materials over the bridge and took the car to the South Post Chapel. I found all the tables and chairs set up and got worried that someone else was planning to use the room. But I ran down stairs to check and it was all ours. So I quickly set up the ironing boards and 5 machines. Then other quilt board members showed up to discuss fabric requirements for a donation quilt that the middle school asked for. During that, class members walked in and I tried to get each one started tracing the pattern. Too bad that I only had one. Each person took a table and, although I didn't count, I'd say that there were at least 12 tables, so it was a very good turnout. Time was short because we only had an hour and a half, it took them longer to do the steps than it would have taken me. But then I couldn't be at everyone's side at all times. Anyway, because the church secretary was taking the class, we got to stay a little longer. Yea! Most did not finish, but had only one step left. After the church was locked up, I sat in the car and called Chris to find out how to turn on the headlights. It's on the turn signal lever! So then I drove home. Yes, that meant driving OFF POST. It also meant making a u-turn, which I haven't done it years. And as it happened, the guy behind me made the same turn at almost the same time and I nearly hit him. But other than that, it went well. But I was so tired that I tried to stay awake and post to my blog, but ended up admitting defeat and going to bed.
P.S. Everyone was so happy to have the class that I must have racked up a lot of good karma. So now I can get away with something. Maybe pairing plaids and polka-dots? Wearing white shoes after Labor Day?

No comments: