Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Wednesday is SUPPOSED to be my day off...


Well, first of all I slept in a little, having made Chris' sandwich the night before. But I had to meet Chris at the gate at 9. I got up so late that I only had time to drink a protein shake before I left. He was there early of course. We went to the thrift shop to pick up the two cabinets. Then I drove him to work so I could have the car. I parked at Gate 19 and walked to a Korean office supply place. I investigated prices of colored paper which the thrift shop uses. I bought some small packs to see if they were the right thing. Then I went to Gate 17, to a little hardware store. I wanted to buy PVC but didn't have enough won. So I went looking for a bank. Not finding anything but an ATM, I asked a lady on the street. She pointed back the way I had come. With enough walking I did find a bank. I handed the teller a $20, and she asked for my passport number. I tried to explain that all I wanted was won, and I showed her all kinds of ID, but no. Finally she got one of the guards to walk me to an underground money exchange. It was a funny place to find one, but the rate was excellent! I went back to the hardware store. I got T joints, two 4 meter poles and a cutter. Well, trying to cut the poles in half with the tiny saw was almost impossible. I took it back inside and she sold me a hacksaw. It was still awkward, so she did it for me (lots of practice I guess). Then I took the poles and saw back to post. The gate guard did not blink an eyelash. Next stop - thrift shop. I brought them the paper and they were glad to see it, but still wanted bigger packages, which my shop did not have. Then I took Chris' car back to his office, spoke to him briefly, then left. His co-worker was just coming back from lunch so I spoke with her for awhile, too. Then I went to the DHL to cash a check and walked home. Actually along the way I stopped at the commissary to buy something in a glass jar. I wanted the jar for holding pickled eggs. But the only jar big enough was a pickle jar and, though it looked and felt like glass, it 'tapped' like plastic. Bummer! I'll just have to check the PX sometime to see what they've got in glass.
Back at the apartment, I checked out e-mail, then finished up the blocks I started yesterday. I was calculating the next block, but by then it was supper time. We had chicken and radish soup. (same radish, almost gone now) Michele came home upset at a bad grade she'd gotten. But later she was busily working on a costume for a Halloween party at the university tomorrow night.

No comments: