Thursday, October 15, 2009

Beginning Quilt class


I got up early to make Chris a sandwich. Then he left. I worked on my e-mail, then Michele left for class. I looked up rag rugs on the internet, trying to find directions to the one Carol Duvall did on her HGTV show, but I couldn't find it. So I just started based on what I could remember. It uses lots of those little scraps leftover from quilting projects. Well, I got two rows done and it was time to go to the thrift shop. The books and videos were piled high. Mary Ann said it was the measure of how much they all loved me. Ha! I got a shopping cart and loaded it up for the trip to the book room. One of the other ladies brought me all the other boxes, so I could have them all at one time. It was a very good idea, as I saved time running back and forth. I did get them all shelved. Then my 2 o'clock appointment called and canceled so I had more time. Mary Ann and I collected two boxes of books for the SIWA bazaar. We pulled a lot of foreign language books because there will be people from all over the world attending. At three we all left. I walked home, arriving sweaty, so I took my clothes off so I could wear them later. When I had cooled down, I re-dressed, then went through three bags of fabrics to find those that were big enough for tonight's project. I also cut some batting and backings. Chris came home but realized that he'd left his ID card so he had to run back to get it. He took two bags of fabric with him to store in the car. After I completed my packing for the class I ate a hamburger and left. I found the car parked inside the gate. I drove it to the SPC and carried all the fabric and batting upstairs. No one was there, so I had to set up the ironing boards, and the tables and mats, rotary cutters, and sewing machines. As I was carrying in the mats, I noticed my shoulder seam showing. My shirt was on inside out! Chris never mentioned it. I ducked into the bathroom to turn it around. Soon ladies started arriving. I was busy from then on getting everyone to pick out their fabric, cut the strips, sew, press, match intersections, sew again, press again, etc. Some had never sewn before and I had to sit with them to get them comfortable with the machine, but they all did fine. We were not able to complete the project, but most went home with enough understanding to finish at home. Thankfully they all helped to pack up. Mary Ann stayed the lastest and walked me out. Her husband was waiting to take her home. I drove myself home and it went better this time. But now I am so tired I think I'll go to bed early.
Here is a better pic of our group quilt (because I forgot to take pics at the class tonight).

No comments: