Sunday, December 13, 2009

8th Army Band Concert



Shortly after 6am, I heard the door open. It was Chris, returning from his class in the states. I also heard him talk to Michele. It seems she got up before 3am to play an on-line game with others from the U.S. Then he came to bed, not wanting to wake me. Ha. Well, I did finally get back to sleep, because I awoke at 9. Jumped in the shower and had a quick breakfast before heading out to church. The pastor talked about Advent not being about Christmas. Nancy played her cello in a cello trio for some of the hymns and communion. It was very nice. After church I asked several people at the fellowship hour if they were going to the 8th Army Band concert. They all said no. So I drove over to the Moyer REc Center where they buses meet. They didn't know much either. All they had was a flyer which has a phone number. So I called and was told that there would be buses going from 12:15 to 1:40. I drove home, had lunch, then Chris drove me back. On the way we stopped at the Arts and Crafts center to get one of the shelves cut down 3/8 of an inch. Chris dropped me off at the buses. A lady asked me if I had a ticket. Didn't know I needed one. The e-mail I got was that the concert was sparsely attended. She said she wasnt sure any were left and asked me to wait for the last bus. So there ended up being 11 of us with no tickets. We took the last bus to Seoul Arts Center. The lobby was packed. We were able to get tickets (free) and programs. We sat in the nosebleed section. Not a place to be if you are afraid of heights. The first half of the concert was not very Christmasy, more classical. The second half was better. During intermission some men were trying to get people to move down to the first floor. But we stayed where we were since we had a really good view from the center. At one point Santa came out and directed. There were a number of amazingly talented Korean soloists. Here is one standing with the lady I sat with on the bus. She gave me her e-mail address but now I can't find it. The band lined up in the lobby so I went down the line and shook each hand. I asked the director if I could join, but he said they already had 10 trombonists and had to leave some behind. (Do I sense the makings of a trombone choir?)
We took one of the buses back to post. When it stopped at the gate to check ID's, I got off and walked home. Chris had just finished making brauts and sauerkraut. Mmmm, a homecooked meal. So good I had two. Then we watched the 4th Indiana Jones movie that Chris bought while he was in the states. He went to bed afterwards though it was still early. I went too. Don't ask why. But I got up again around 11 to read my e-mail and post to my blog.

No comments: