Monday, December 7, 2009

Oh Tannenbaum...


The people upstairs got up early. Hence I woke up early too. Like 4:30am. But I stayed in bed trying to get a little more sleep. I finally got up about 7:30. After my morning preparations, I met Pam at the gate. We drove to Gate 17 where we waited for the other quilt members to arrive. Then we all walked to Hannah's house for our first meeting of the month. She had snacks ready for us when we arrived. The potato and cheese soup was outstanding. We sat around talking for awhile. We had a Chinese gift exchange. I was worried that the quilt book I wrapped up would not be liked (since I didn't want it), but it was one of the most stolen items. I ended up with a Louis Vitton keyring and cell phone thingy. Why would anyone want them unless they had the purse those things match? And the purse probably comes with those accessories (for the astronomical cost). I am thinking about putting it in the next gift exchange on Thursday. But I really can't complain, because right after that Hannah brought out a large box of fabric that she didn't want to ship when they leave, so she let us all descend upon it. And we reduced it quickly. I think I got the lion's share because the other ladies kept handing me colorful pieces 'for the kids'. We are going to have a night of making pillowcases for children with cancer, and now we have the fabric to do it with!
On the walk home from Hannah's apartment, Pam took me by a Korean market where I could find Korean eggs. Too bad I just bought 2 dozen at the commissary. But I will know for next time. Back on base she drove me to my gate. She and some other ladies were going to go to Dongdaemun, but I am going to wait until Friday because I am taking Kelli there. I spent the rest of the afternoon putting up our Christmas tree and decorating it. Some of the decorations are from my sister who sent us Christmas in a box last year. Thanks Faye. The tree is from Richard Lund who found it while cleaning out his office last spring. I also discovered a box we had never unpacked. Along with a wastebasket, power strip, and swag, I found our jingle bell shapes - two canes, and two wreathes. We can't put nails in these walls, so I hung them on the curtain rod. Later I ironed the swag and hung it in the computer room on pushpins. I went through my e-mails and sent out a few to the quilting group. I hope I didn't forget anything.

No comments: