Thursday, December 3, 2009

God sends help


After exercising and breakfast, I took a shower with my organic soap and shampoo. I read e-mail for awhile and talked to Chris. Then I walked to the thrift shop to help out. I was able to quickly process and shelve all the books, videos and DVD's. So I had some time to weed through what was already on the shelves. I sat on the floor for some of it. Well, about 1:30 I started feeling twinges in my back. Normally that means drop to the floor, but this floor was cold and dirty. So instead I signed out and started walking. Walking wasn't helping, so I stopped by the commissary to get a taxi. The first one I came to wouldn't take me because he wasn't first in line. I told him it hurt to walk, but he insisted that I go to the head of the line. So, ok. That man took me to my apartment. I took the elevator instead of the steps. I had a bite to eat (flubber) then laid down. The pain was intense and I considered calling Michele to come home, but I didn't want her to miss class. Finally I very slowly made my way to the bathroom to get some oxycontin and naprosin. I lay back down figuring I would be asleep soon, but that didn't happen. I started feeling a little better so I got up and prepared for class. I ate a persimmon and some chicken. Then I walked to post and took the car to the SPC, going the back way to avoid the tree lighting ceremony that I would have attended had I felt better. I arrived by 6, unsure of how I was going to set up the room without hurting myself further. But a man and wife were there thinking the class started at 6 and offered to carry the heavy stuff and set up the tables. Thank God! Ladies started arriving, some bringing their own machines. I drew cutting diagrams on the whiteboard. One lady needed help learning to cut. Another wanted help squaring up her top and backing (from a previous class) to be quilted. Another 2 worked on placemats from last class. I thought we'd all be making the tablerunner. Silly me. So I took a few moments to do a quick demonstration of the hotdog pillowcase technique I learned on www.conKerrcancer.org. Several are interested in joining me to make them for juvenile cancer patients. Everyone helped pack up the tables, etc. Someone remarked on my ski gloves. Sadly I have lost the others. As I drove home, I was able to enjoy all the Christmas lights turned on at the tree-lighting. Michele was home when I returned and we gave each other backrubs.

No comments: