Monday, December 14, 2009

Korean Patchwork



I got up at 7:30 to shower, dress and eat. I quickly checked e-mail and made Chris a sandwich (since I didn't get up at 6 to do it). I walked to post where Chris was supposed to meet me, but he was delayed in a meeting. So I started walking. He met me along the way and drove me to Gate 19. Instead of having our regular meeting, we had a Korean patchwork class at Sungshin University. The group was already assembled. So we walked into the subway and attempted to put a gift basket together. But we had too much. So we took our stuff and headed out to Sungshin. They did not meet us at the station like usual. So we went on foot and uphill. In the main building, we stopped again and this time got everything in to the basket. To say thank you, we put in chocolates and stuffed ornaments. Then we walked more and up steps. Lots of steps. We went to the room we'd gone to before and there we were met and taken to another room. Our teacher Mr. Kim (go figure) was buff and had long hair. He is considered a Korean intangible treasure for his hand sewing skills. He taught us to sew stiff poly squares together in the manner of English paper piecing. See pic. Then we sewed a backing on in the same manner - no batting. All materials were provided and they gave us the leftover yardage to take home. Then we followed them upstairs for lunch. I should have asked how many stairs before going up. I think it was 5 or 6 flights. Well, we ate well. Miso soup, fried tofu, rice, chicken(?) and veggies, and kimchi. Then we went back to the subway and came home, Although Carina and I stopped off at E-Mart for some groceries. I got kimchi and eggs (30 to a pack). Carina drove me to my gate. At home, I hardboiled the eggs and made mayonaise. I put the kimchi in jars in the fridge. I attempted to clean the kitchen afterwards. I cleared out my e-mail. I finally found a piece of paper someone had written their e-mail on. But there is a big pile of presents that need to be wrapped and sent. I can't believe that Christmas is less than two weeks away. I havne't written a single card. Oh, there's an ANT. Anxious Negative Thought. I imagine myself flicking them back to their anthill when they assail me. They have been swarming lately.

No comments: