Thursday, December 10, 2009

A thrift shop Christmas


I happened to wake up before 8am this morning and for some reason had no trouble getting out of bed. So I went into my sewing room and cut strips of Christmas fabric for tonight's class. Then I did my exercises, had breakfast, checked my e-mail, pretty much the normal morning routine. I did dress up in a red top and green pants with a green necklace and snowflake earrings. I hopped in the car and drove to the thrift shop. I planned to shelve the books quickly but was stymied by the droves of Martha Stewart magazines that greeted me. Magazines are part of my job, too. But we didn't have room for them all. Ella suggested that I weed through and throw out anything we'd had that was 6 months or older. But that would take time we didn't have, because we were quitting at 10:30 to go to the Christmas party. So I grabbed a laundry basket and filled it with Martha Stewart. Then I started in on the children's videos. Same dilemma. But no new places to put them. Finally I had to leave them for next week. We drove to the DHL. The room filled slowly and then we were send into the food line. I made some very healthy choices, but just in case, brought some powdered fiber to sprinkle in. After eating, we had our gift swap. The rules they picked declared a gift 'dead' after it had been stolen twice. Well, by the time the first person got to pick again at the end, the good stuff was all off-limits. And I was the second person. Oh well, I have a new pair of fuzzy socks.
After the party, I drove Chrissy back to her truck. She has quite the gift for gab, so I turned off the car, on the lookout for people trying to come through. What I didn't do was turn off the lights. When I finally realized that they were on, the battery was to weak to start the car. She felt terrible. She brought her truck to jump it, but had a higher voltage battery. So she went into a nearby building and talked someone into bringing their car over. A KATUSA did the honors and I was relieved that no one's electrical system was fried, although sparks flew. Then I drove to Chris' office to get the mail. There was a meduim size but heavy package waiting for me. My parents send me PVC for my birthday. It may sound like an odd gift, but its like tinker toys for adults. I have already made some new shelving for my fabric closet:) I made and ate some salmon salad before I took a short nap, then made sure I had everything assembled for class. I walked across the bridge to the gate, then took the car to the SPC. I set up tables, machines, ironing boards, got out the cutting tools etc. The class was a continuation of tablerunners, but at the last minute we had to add making ornaments as thankyou gifts for the staff at Sungshin university. It turned out to be a popular activity. Only one person worked on a tablerunner. Then I came home, and checked my e-mail to find that I had to send an e-mail to the group to tell them this, then another to remind them of that, and another to ask them something else. Being president sucks. I was ready to tell her to e-mail the group herself.

No comments: