Tuesday, December 29, 2009

The Mushroom restaurant - good to the last drop


Chris gave me a lift to the thrift shop. I wore my "Treble-maker" t-shirt but it was so cold in there I couldn't take my coat off. My hands were cold too because I couldn't wear gloves while processing books and videos. So when Chris called to go to lunch, I was happy to go. We drove to the other side of post, where we were met by some of his coworkers. The three of us followed them off-post to the mushroom restaurant, as it has become known. We sat on the floor and 2 large bowls of soup were cooked IN the table top. It was full of veggies. We also were served kimchi. AFter the veggies cooked and we ate them, large noodles were added to the broth. After that was cooked and eaten, they added rice with seaweed and stuff. Amazingly we ate that, too. It was all very, very good. Then we walked back, in the snow and my feet got wet and cold. We stopped at the post office to mail the Christmas cards. While standing in line, I discovered that the envelopes were not pre-gummed. So no lick and stick. Fortunately the clerk had a roll of tape. Our next mission was to stop by Tina's house for the bags of fabric scraps. And we stopped Chris' office to pick up the mail. I got Christmas cards and printer cartridges. Now I can print in colors other than red and yellow. We came home. I took a nap and made two more pillowcases. After supper I got on my e-mail to clear it out. I am way behind. Too many links to follow.

1 comment:

Crissie said...

We use to live in Japan way way back .. in 1952..Even thou your in Korea it brings back lots of memories. You'll never be able to enjoy the good original cooking when you return to the States! I loved Japanese food but have never had any as great when we lived there. Suki (spl?) was great! And cooked over coal in the middle of the table, while sitting on the floor. When my parents and I walked back to base, my eyes hurt so bad, I could hardly stand it! I did try and order a bowl a few years ago in Fresno, CA when we went into a Japanese restaurant and I was expecting a small bowl .. it was nothing but .. HUGE! I'm sure it was meant for a party and not just one~ And it was nothing like I remembered! I love seaweed and had it a lot when we were there.. Love a red bean type of candy. Not sure what the name is but it came either in a bar or beans that had been treated (?)and then in something that looked like powdered sugar. See if you can find some there, I'll bet you'll like it too.
On my eleventh birthday (telling my age) my mother was teaching a young man English he brought me a beautiful birthday cake. Biggest disappointment of my life. Beautiful sugar flowers were not sweet at all!
I enjoy ready your posts! Thanks. Wish I had a way of getting you a ton of scraps~ Crissie ... Martinez, CA.