Friday, May 21, 2010

Buddha's birthday


Today is Buddha's birthday. That meant that Michele did not have to go to college. It also meant that the banks on post were closed, much to Michele's disappointment. Today was also scheduled as 'cutting day' so that we the quilters could gather at the SPC and cut baby quilt kits for the summer when participation is low. I showed up at 9:30, and had the place to myself. For awhile. Later Cathi Ferri showed up and we chatted and divided two lengths of fabric into tops and backs for quilts. Then we chatted some more as we ate our lunches. I came home then to clear out e-mail. It went longer than I thought because I heard Chris come in the door, signaling that it was after 5. We had a going-away party scheduled for 6. So I hopped in the shower, and dressed in the pantsuit that I haven't been able to wear since before I came to Korea. Then I had to figure out how to wrap the gift. Since Beth Anne, who is leaving, is a quilter, I wrapped the gift in fabric. I quickly wrote a card, signed it, and we were on our way. We got there just before seating. We had a time finding a place to sit. I snuck the gift in at the back of the gift table. We chatted with a variety of people. Dinner consisted of vegetable soup, salad, chicken breast, potatoes, veggies and eggplant. And oh yes, rolls and chocolate dessert. Thankfully Chris ate my carbs for me. Then they had each gift giver come up and say a few words while handing their gift to Beth Anne. Ha! If I had known that, I might have saved the gift for later.
Beth Anne took the evening well. Through speeches and soloists, she was able to remain composed. Many extremely nice things were said about her. It must have been terrible.
Afterwards there were the goodbyes and picture-taking. We helped her husband take the pile of gifts to the car. Then we went to Chris' office to visit the tomatoes and see when Michele was getting out of the movies. There was an hour yet, so we came home. Later Chris went back to get her.

No comments: