Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Children's Day (only in Korea)


I spent the morning following links from e-mails. One of them was a video showing how Smithfield raises pigs in deplorable conditions. N.C. banned some of their practices, so they built more megafarms in Poland. I got a Skype call from my brother Kurt. It was nice to talk to him, although I was sad to hear that his roommate got laid off yesterday. Just before noon I got a call from Cathy. She wanted to go to Dongdaemun with a brief stop at Namdaemun to pick up her new glasses. Twist my arm! OK, so she picked me up at my gate, we stopped at the ATM for won, and took the subway to N. She got her glasses, I got some more fake flowers for my hat and the jeweled peacock that I tried to buy yesterday with American money. We also got pineapple on a stick for $1. It was sooo sweet. A package of strawberries was $2, so we got some of them, too. Then off to D. We looked at fabric (see pic of man getting Cathy's fabric from the back row), and crystals, and thread, and such. Finally we just came home since stalls were closing early. She dropped me off at my gate and left. I walked home past the school which had filled their athletic field with small tents with food and activities for kids. It was their last day of school for the year. The crowd was enormous. The music was loud and I couldn't see what else was going on.
Anyway, back at the apt, I cleared some more e-mail, then made three layers of steel wool for my orgonite blanket. I used my dullest rotary cutter to make the edges even. I should have worn gloves because the little steel splinters stuck in my skin. Not my smartest move. I also cut some wool for another three layers. I put them together, then got side-tracked in the kitchen cleaning up dishes and making bread. Chris came home late, so we had leftovers, ie. beans. He put his on a tortilla and I put mine on two layers of seaweed. But it was too soupy for the seaweed. We also had some fudge. I got two boxes in the mail. One was some stones I ordered, but the other one held some interesting sample fragrances. I don't always remember ordering stuff, so when it arrives I am surprized (which is nice), but I am pretty sure I did not order these. I think I would remember by now. Anyway, I spent the rest of the evening listening to interviews while working on my hat.

No comments: