Thursday, May 27, 2010

Chris' parents come for his birthday


We went to bed around midnight, after talking with my in-laws for an hour. In the morning I heard voices, so I got up. We talked and had breakfast. I took a shower. Chris and his father took turns checking e-mail on Chris' laptop. Then, while Chris took them to Gate 17 to sign on and then get entered into the DBIDS system, I walked to post, and drove my car to the thrift shop. I had to return the bolt cutter and get in another half hour of work for the month of May. But when I got there, poor Maryann was almost all alone. So I stayed and worked until Chris called to say they were going to Itaewon for lunch at a Thai restaurant. So we all walked into Itaewon, looking at stores as we passed. The food was very good. I got some kind of curry with beef, the others got pork and chicken. We all agreed it was delicious and we took the leftovers home. Chris dropped my m-i-l and me off at the thrift shop. Cecily found a few books on Korea that she wanted, and then shelved books until Chris and Alfred came back. She went with them to get ration cards and such and then stopped at the commissary. I stayed to work until MaryAnn was ready to leave. Then I drove to the parking lot and walked home. I had a few minutes to myself to clear a little e-mail before they came home. Then I had to feed myself and get over to the SPC for class. One lady showed up early to help me set up and then to get some help making a baby quilt. I got there earlier to put some screws into one hasp, and wrap the pointy ends of some other screws with tape. Then we set up and I got her started on her baby quilt. The others came with their kite pieces. I thought they were finished cutting and ready to sew, but no. So all they got done tonight was some more cutting and a little hemming. I guess we will have it again next week. Hannah came over during the class and gave me her plants: a very nice rubber tree and a hanging pothos. She also gave me a wrapped gift. She is leaving in a few weeks. After class I drove to the parking lot. Chris and Cecily came to get me, and marveled at the plants. Back at the apartment, I opened the gift to find a Mikasa glass bowl. Very nice! We all had some fudge and talked. There were no leftovers from Chris' birthday supper. And apparently no gifts either, except the jar of mustard I ordered for him months ago. He keeps saying he doesn't need anything. Finally we were all tired and went to bed.

1 comment:

Jilly said...

Hi Fern,

Well you have been very busy with your life; I hope you have a good time with your visitors.

Well I not sure if you have the TV show called Master Chef but i love it and try not to miss a show, but missed Thursday night show as I had to go The Manning Net which is on the last Thursday night of every month and is one of those women’s meetings with a guest speaker and a meal etc etc, always a good time and some interesting people to listen to, I had already booked and you have to pay the $20 if you don’t attend which I agree with...so I just went anyway but missed one of the eliminations on the show.

Have not done any sewing for a few days just did not feel like it really, will see how I go today, have the red rooster placemats ready to sew up and would like to have them finished and out of the way by this weekend.

I am also making a rooster wall hanging, I have cut some of the squares with a feature picture in the middle, BUT I have to tell you I stuffed up a bit, I wanted to use the squares with a red spotted fabric as a border around them which will look good….BUT I did not think on it hard enough and have lost quite a bit of fabric….daahhh……and out of half meter fabric I have ended up with eight 5 ½ squares, anyway will work it out in the end, but sometimes you just get a bit mad at yourself. Over the weekend I think I will sew the border around the squares and then put them on the wall and see how to place them, I will use a border which has two larger roosters on it along the bottom in a two level way for the bottom of the quilt, still cant make up my mind how to put it all together, am thinking of an irregular grid type of pattern if i am making any sense at all...he he he

Hey have you seen that product shown on the latest Watch Shows, its video no 611 called “Applique the Piece O' Cake Way Becky Goldsmith”, if you start the video its the first thing they talk about on the TQS treasure chest and its called "Texture Magic” wow wow wow, no way can you explain it, the possibilities are endless, even with general sewing, but the sample quilt Alex shows using the blocks she used makes it so much more interesting, and then she shows you bags etc etc. Thought you may be interested that’s if you don’t already know about it.

Well better go for now hugs from Australia,
Jill