Sunday, October 24, 2010

How not to cook beans

The alarm went off at 8. The room was so dark it seemed to be the middle of the night. Actually due to the lights on a panel by the door, the room wasn't completely dark, but it was close. I got up to rinse the beans and put them in the crock pot on low. That turned out to be a mistake. I had breakfast, and got ready for church. I was there on time. It was Hyon and Bill's last sunday. She gave me one last bag of fabric. I wish them well on their move to the U.S.
Then I went to the commissary. I got some groceries and stuff for the quilters coming over next week. I drove back to the apartment complex and dropped it off with Michele who carried it all up while I parked the car. I had gotten a pork loin, so I cut it up and put it in with the beans. Michele and I had leftovers. We watched Rigoletto, which is not a great movie but I LOVE the music. I used to have the CD, but its gone now. Made me homesick 'cause I used to play it in the hottub in Augusta. Sigh. Then Michele wanted to watch Bedknobs and Broomsticks. Since the VCR is in my sewing room, we sat on the floor, which got very hard even though there is a silk rug in there. Finally I couldn't stand it, and I had to sew. I made another star block, and most of another brown and cream block. That is, I made it into 9 sections, but can't decide now how to arrange them for best effect. At supper time, the beans were not done, but the meat was. So I took it out and turned the crock pot up to 'high'. Hours later, still not done. We had leftovers again. Chris called me on Skype and his advice was to let it cook overnight. Guess we will have beans tomorrow.

No comments: