Thursday, October 21, 2010

Long night, long day

I said I was going to bed early yesterday, but that did not happen. I did the usual before-bed activities, like rinsing the bean sprouts, taking a 5-htp capsule, and putting a handful of nuts in water to soak until morning. But when I got in bed and put the CD player on my chest and put on the headphones and pressed 'play', there was no sound. I got up to change the batteries, and none of them worked, in fact even the battery tester wasn't working. So I got out another CD player that my brother gave me - he got it on a yardsale new in the box. It didn't work either. ARRGH! Finally I had to put the CD in my 6 CD changer with separate receiver. It was a last resort because it makes so much noise when the CD is over that it wakes me up, and the whole point of listening to the CD to go to sleep. And stay that way! Also it exposes me to its electric field all night.
However, it worked. I fell asleep, and when I woke up in the morning, everything was back to normal. Each portable CD player had small switch on the back labeled 'hold'. When switched off, the players worked just fine. And inexplicably, so did the battery tester. So I asked Michele if she noticed any time-space anomalies lately.
I made Chris' last sandwich, and there was just enough bread to do so. His office is having a cookout tomorrow, and then he is leaving for a month, going to Monterrey CA for a class.
I went back to bed, then got up later for breakfast with my computer. When I left for the thrift shop, I carried some of the items I planned to sell at quilt class so I wouldn't have to carry them all on the way to class. I went early so I could stop at the ACS building to turn in 3 months of minutes for the quilt group, and talk to the volunteer coordinator to see if ladies from off-post can earn base passes by volunteering for our organization. Then it was time to hit the shop. I was greeted by lots of books. I processed them all, and DVD's and CD's too. There wasn't enough time to do all the videodiscs that came in, but I must have done 20 or so. I considered buying one just to have a mirror in my sewing room! As I left, I told Ella I would mention on Facebook that we had these videodiscs for sale. She asked me to also mention all the other sales they were having. Then I found my sewing student and we headed for my apartment. She had forgotten her snack, so I gave her some ramen, which is what she usually brings. Well, apparently it was not HER kind of ramen, and it didn't cook fast enough, etc. Then I presented her with a choice of projects to work on - small ones that she could do all by herself. Well, she didn't like any of them because they weren't 'fun', and she couldn't sell them. She made several vague suggestions, like a quilt, or a princess bag. But she had no idea in mind of the specifics. Finally I talked her into making a rag rug, sewing scraps of fabric onto a denim base. I provided her with a ton of scraps, and all she could talk about was "the next rug will be better, I will use certain colors, made a pattern in it, etc." By the time her father came, I was ready to scream. However, he paid me through the end of November. After she left, I pulled out some jewel tone fabric scraps for class tonight. I did some vacuuming, I had something to eat, and waited for Chris to come home. I even tried calling him, but no answer. Finally I left for class. I arrived early to set up. Helped the lady across the hall set up tables 'cause she was setting up alone too. Then as I continued our own set-up, other ladies came in to help and to buy rulers and mats. I was quite busy for awhile just answering questions, etc. Melanie came to work on the kimono blocks and she was able to get the whole thing done with the help of most of the other people in the class. I helped Kennedy quilt her quilt, which she had finished since Tuesday. One person helped by making star blocks. Then we cleaned up, and went on our merry way. I drove to the parking lot where Chris left his car. I changed cars, and drove home. Then I got on the internet to read new e-mail. One was from Hyon, telling me that the quilt I donated to her cause sold for 200,000 won! I also posted to Facebook what Ella suggested. But it disappeared almost immediately.

No comments: