Wednesday, April 11, 2012

One perfectly mown and trimmed yard

I had trouble getting to sleep last night. I kept hearing sounds from the closet, like a large bug or small rodent. But I must have fallen asleep at some point, because I awoke to the oddest sounds: one piano key being struck over and over, very faintly like from far away, and a moaning sound. I went to the window but couldn't see anything out of the ordinary. In the morning I swept out my closet to see what was there, but all I found was dust. No droppings and nothing chewed. I put on the latest audio and stuck the laptop in my sachel so I could listen while I watered the garden. I also jumped on the rebounder. Then I noticed the sound of a lawn mower. It was Charlie, mowing our lawn, driving like he was in a race. I prepped and ate breakfast. He finished mowing and fired up his weed eater. When he started the leaf blower, I went out to make sure he did not blow the dead poison ivy vines into my dandelion patch. We chatted a bit, then I wrote him a check. When he finished our yard, he did the neighbor across the street. He did a great job, but cut down a few things I would have left standing. I finished as much e-mail as I could stand. I wanted to sew but it was a sunny (but cool) day and I just couldn't face being cooped up in the basement. Charlie had mentioned spraying the far back yard with roundup. I don't like poisons, so I went back there with a shovel to dig up all the little saplings. Eventually I got to the garden and dug and weeded there. Spent hours. At three I came in for lunch and to read the latest e-mail. I swept the bathroom. I took my laptop and a timer down to the sewing room. I set it to go off at 4. Then I followed a link to a live call about brain function. It ended about 5 when Chris came home. I had finished cutting all the alternate blocks, and sewing them together in rows and had only one seam left. Chris fixed himself a burrito. I picked some dandelion and added spinach for a salad. I took a shower, and dressed for choir practice. I sewed the last seam and took a quick look at the choir music. I wanted to call my Mom and wish her a happy birthday, but I knew they were already at choir practice. I went to my car and put the back seats down. I flattened some cardboard, and then it was time to leave. I went to practice at the church and got back about 8:30. Chris and I watched 2 episodes of NCIS, then he went to bed. I hope the closet will be quiet tonight.

No comments: