Monday, April 30, 2012

Math and sewing

I started reading my e-mail first thing in the morning now that I had posted some pics from Paducah, but no one had commented.  I went out to water the plants and take out the garbage.  There was no audio posted yesterday, so I listened to songs from The Happiest Millionaire on Youtube.  I hung up Chris' shirts, then made bread, fixed breakfast and read the rest of my email. I felt like working on the star quilt project so I took the drawing, some paper and a calculator outside to do the math.  It was a beautiful day. I found all the angles, then went to work on the sides.  But as it turns out one can't assume that all the wedges of the star are alike.  Two of them are shorter than the rest which throws the rest of the math off.  I tried measuring with a protractor.  It may be that the only way to do it is to enlarge it and paper piece the thing.  But, do I really want  a 10 point star with two smaller points?   It is not obvious in the drawing but might be when done up in color.  Making all the star points the same size would throw off the secondary design.  I took a break to rake magnolia leaves.  I can hardly believe how fast they are falling.  I cleaned up my sewing room for a bit, then worked on my demo for Tuesday night.  I gathered the materials and put them in my car so I won't forget them.  Then I sewed more s-n-w blocks.  The man who was supposed to fix the heating system called to say he couldn't come until Thursday.  I thought that I really should finish up the black and bright quilt, so I made progress on the binding while listening to something on the internet.  Chris came home and we ate the corned beef that he put in the crock pot this morning.  It was REALLY good.  After more e-mail and binding, we watched a movie from Netflix called "The other end of the line".  It was another great choice by my husband who seems to do pretty well at choosing chic flicks I like.
Since there was nothing worth photographing today (except maybe the first morning glory blossom I've seen) I will post a pic from the Paducah show.

No comments: