Saturday, April 28, 2012

Quilt show and much more



Hancocks

We ate breakfast foods that we brought, showered and dressed.  We got on the road about 9.  Our first stop was Hancocks of Paducah.  It was big and we started in the back with the remnants.  I got a set of Tonga 10 inch squares in a variety of purple and yellows.  Then we looked at sale batiks.  I bought 8 of those.  Then I took some pics around the store while Jen picked out a few other things.  There were some really nice quilts hung around.  We paid for our fabrics, then parked and walked around downtown.  There were lots of little shops to see.  Some were non-fabric shops but they had a few bolts to entice quilters to come in and look around. Jen bought two sets of longarm DVD's.  She wants me to use her Innova.   We found Eleanor Burns store and went inside.  All of her fabric was priced at $5.  I only bought one piece (because it had numbers on it) but Jen bought more.  We stopped at the car to get our lunch food and sat on a bench by the river to eat.  Then we went to the convention center to look around a bit more.  We talked to the people at Creative Curves and got into quite the discussion.  I really liked their multi-angle wedge ruler, but did not want to pay $27 for it.  So Jen bought it and said I could borrow it.  We visited Ricky Tims booth and got our picture taken with him.  We sat in front of the AQS giveaway site.  At 2:45 the AWS guy showed up to present Jen with the sewing machine that she won in the drawing yesterday. A photographer took their picture.   A lady noticed my purse and asked if I made it.  She said she had the same pattern, 20 years old.  Jen went to get her car, and we put her new machine in it.  Then we went to the quilt museum.  We looked around the lobby and gift shop while I deliberated whether or not to buy the $10 admission ticket.  I decided I would rather see what Eleanor Burns was doing in Carson park.  Luckily we did, because she had just started her last show, dressed in an antebellum gown, talking about old president's wives and showing period-style quilts.  She had two TV's going to add more visual interest, demonstrate techniques and hold sing-alongs.  She was very entertaining.  Then we went into the tents set up nearby to look at more of her fabric.  When we got to the building, it was full of books, rulers, instructional DVD's, more quilts, and Eleanor herself, signing books and letting people take pictures.  At that moment, the camera told me it's memory card was full and I had to delete pics so Jen could take a photo of Eleanor and me.  What a great time we had! As we left, one of the helpers told us about the warehouse, but it closed at 6.  By then it was almost 6, so we headed to Whalers for supper.  One of the local highschools was having a prom and there were gaudily dressed teens everywhere on the street and in the restaurant.  We didn't care, all we wanted was food.  I was feeling faint by then.  The place was busy so it took awhile to get served, but at least we were sitting down and drinking water. I ate every scrap of food on my plate except the roll and the croutons.  Jen did not want her salad, so I ate that, too.  For an entree, I got shrimp and she got crabcakes.  When we left, we walked back to the car and headed toward exit 4.  We passed Hancocks on the way, but it was closed.  It would have been tempting to stop in again.  By the time we got to our lodge it was dark.  We carried our booty up to our room and examined each others purchases.  We thanked each other for a wonderful weekend.  Then we got dressed for bed. Jen watched TV as I wrote my blog and once again wished I hadn't forgotten the cord that downloads pics from my camera to the computer. I'm so tired I could fall asleep.  Every time I close my eyes, I see images of fabrics and quilts.  But it is all over now.  We are heading back in the morning.

No comments: