Friday, April 13, 2012

Raw milk

It was another cold and chilly day. I had to wear a jacket to water the garden and flower beds. Still no sign of the spinach or peppers. I listened to another audio while watering, bouncing, ironing, and preparing breakfast and taking out the recyclables. This one had more content than the others, so when it was over, I queued it up again. The speaker was using Access Consciousness techniques. I cleared as much e-mail as I could. I called Claire and she said she'd be over soon. I started gathering items for Saturday's class (sewing an iron caddy). She arrived about 12:35. I got in her car and we went to downtown Huntsville. We found a farmer selling frozen meats and raw milk from big coolers in the back of a van. Claire knows him. She bought beef, bacon, and milk. I got ground beef and milk. He was very interesting to talk to. I'd like to see his farm sometime. Claire dropped me off at home. She did not have time to talk because she had to get her food home. I put my items away. I looked up how to make cheese on google. I also called Mom, but her info did not sound reliable. I think she gets things confused. Anyway, the consensus of all I read seemed to be that the milk gets heated, you add lemon juice, it curdles, you strain the whey from the curds and voila, cheese. So I put the gallon of milk in a pot and warmed it up. I squeezed a lemon and kept stirring. And stirring. Finally I put in another lemon. More stirring. Only a few curds. Chris came home. I added some vinegar. More stirring and no more curds. Chris said he thought it had done all it was going to do, so I decided to put it in a jar. He tried to pour it in, but that did not work. The curds went in the sink. I spooned the rest into the jar and put it in the fridge. I cooked the quinoa that I soaked since yesterday. That was supper. We went down to watch BBT at 7. I watched part of a B5 movie called "Third Space". Then we watched another BBT episode at 8, and finished the movie. I had a headache and was tired so we both went to bed.
BTW, I tasted the milk. It was very good. It reminded me of how milk used to taste when I was a child and the milkman delivered it to the house in glass bottles.

No comments: