Thursday, May 16, 2013

I need a hand

I did not go to bed after writing my blog yesterday. Instead of lying awake wishing I were asleep, I elected to listen to another audio and draw the diagrams for the class on Saturday. It was after 11 when I went to bed, but before 9 when I got up. I had my usual morning with breakfast about 11. I put out the recyclables. I watered the young vegetable plants. I trimmed the holly next to the front steps. Last time I trimmed the bushes I hurt my achilles tendon, so I figured trimming one bush a day was safe. But I could probably get away with two, which is what I told myself as I trimmed the second one. I was done talking to me as I trimmed the fourth one. I used a hand pruner and a ladder. William had given me a large hedge trimmer, but I did not feel safe using it on a ladder. But at the end, there was this one holly that was REALLY prickly, and the back was unreachable, so I got a folding chair and the electric trimmer and made short work of it. i really don't like that bush and would not be sad if it died. I could easily fill in the space with something else. I raked up all the trimmings and loaded them onto a tarp so I could move it all to a pile near the street. I think on Mondays a truck comes around to gather up stuff like that. Having spent enough time on yard work, I came in to have lunch and some water. I re-drew my diagrams on graph paper. I used the desktop computer to scan in the graph paper and save it in a file. I also printed it out, but it printed larger so some stuff on the side and bottom got left off. Then I traced my hand on a piece of paper and re-drew the line with a large marker. I placed another piece of paper on top and wrote the 9 fruits of the spirit in it, following the outline of my hand and fingers. I taped a piece of thin red material over it and copied the words in dark marker colors. Now I have one more block for the quilt. Chris came home from work and made his usual burrito. I had some salad and took my supplements. I got ready for quilt guild meeting. It was a little early, so I went down to look for some lightweight stabilizer or interfacing to put on the back of the red block since the fabric was so thin. When I found some interfacing, I left it on the table and went to guild. It was later than I thought. I found some friends to sit with. I was glad I brought my jacket. The program was a talk by Shelly Zegart, the executive producer of the documentary Why Quilts Matter. She made the topic come alive with her enthusiasm. At the end, I asked her about a rescued quilt that had come into my possession. She said if I sent her a pic she would offer an opinion. I thanked her so much, and went home. It was almost 9. Chris and I watched two episodes of Bones before going to bed.

No comments: