Friday, May 3, 2013

Thursday - Kale Chips


I put out the recyclables at some point during my morning routine. I took notes on today's session of Feng Shui, which focused on purity. After lunch, with no lawn left to mow, I worked on the yard. I trimmed around the stones which outline our neighbors front yard. Quite a few of them had ants under them. Whenever I lifted one of those stones, it was like the scene from "The Mummy", where the scarabs pour forth. Most of the ants were black, but one stone had large, dark yellow ants. Maybe they weren't ants? Anyway, nothing bit me, and I was grateful. I also trimmed the grass growing along the edge of the driveway. Ants infested that area, too. I feel surrounded. It's like a Hitchcock movie. After yard work, I retired to my sewing room. As I worked on the quilt project that I intend to teach, I took notes. I tried two different ways of doing the fat triangles at the ends, and decided method 2 had everything going for it. (I used method 1 in the first quilt.) When Chris came home, he put a load of laundry in the machine. I threw in my yellow quilt backing. The Chlorox bleach pen got the purple dye out, but I wanted to be sure the bleach came out as well. After I finished the top and one of the pieced borders, I came upstairs. I wanted to juice veggies for supper. In my old age I find it is easier to juice my salad than to eat it. So I got out the kale, which makes yucky juice. Chris suggested I make kale chips. I didn't think it worked out so well last time, but he wanted it so I coated the pieces with oil in a bowl. I arranged them on two cookie sheets. Chris sprinkled them with salt, and put them in the oven. That is when I realized that our oven has a light that can only be turned on by opening the door. I tried using a flashlight to monitor the progress, but it wasn't strong enough. Chris checked several times, and then took out the trays. He ate most of them because I found them too salty. They were crispier in reality than they look in the photo. He put the leftovers in a plastic container. Then we watched 4 episodes of Bones and went to bed.

No comments: