Thursday, December 26, 2013

Cleaning and finding 'treasure'



I got up before 10.  That was amazing considering how late we went to bed.  Since Kurt was so gung ho about getting Skype on the tablets and his phone, I Skyped him from my tablet in the bedroom, waking him in the living room.  He did not seem to mind.  I quickly washed up and got dressed.  Mom had had her first Ensure, so I made the cruciferous juice for her.  Then, since I had bought so many vegetables for juicing, I made more juice for me and shared it with Dad.  Clean-up was a bear.  The tape on my splint got wet and it fell off.  But the finger was much better so I left it off.  I fed Mom her juice and another Ensure.  Then I ate my own breakfast.  I tried to help Dad write his Christmas /annual letter, but for some reason he wanted to figure out how he did it last year before starting on this year’s.  I could not help him with that.  He decided to take a nap before he started.  While he was sleeping under Mom’s wheelchair, the lady next door came over asking for newspapers.  She was packing up her kitchen.  I gave her the ones I could find.  Then I went back to fixing a pair of jeans.  He slept longer than he intended, and went back to obsessing.  At some point he took a copy of the letter from last year and read it to me with updates.  I typed it into his computer as best I could.  The distance between the keys is different on his laptop so I kept hitting the wrong ones.  He needed lots of time to edit my edits (I guess) so I amused myself in cleaning the diningroom and throwing out stuff that was moldy.  I found a pile of old cards written to Grandma.   I showed them to Dad and he suggested recycling them.  I was proud of him so did as he suggested, even though some part of me wanted to keep them.  I called Faye about a wrapped gift I found on the card table and we got to talking about supper tomorrow night.  Kurt came home from the science museum and packed his car to go home.  I asked him to go to the store for pork and sauerkraut.  He returned with the food and said goodbye to Mom and Dad and drove back to northern Virginia.  I resumed intensive cleaning the dining room, I found stuff I wanted to throw directly into the garbage cans, but could not find the cans.  I called William, and then Faye to find out.  But neither of them returned my call.   With all the cleaning action, my finger started to complain, so I re-splinted it.  Maybe not as well as Faye would have done.  When I finished cleaning and vacuuming the dining room, I started on the livingroom. I had to borrow flashlight from Dad to see in places where the lamps did not shine.  At 10 I put Mom to bed.  Dad did the heavy lifting.  Then he was ready to print out the letter, but I talked him into waiting until morning.  I thought it might go faster and easier then.
I was tempted to continue in the living room, but decided to be nice to my back and wait until morning.
*  This is Kurt's 'selfie' from Christmas Day, one of about 100 photos that he took with MY tablet.  *

No comments: