Monday, December 16, 2013

The birthday gift that might be done for Christmas

It was 9:15 when I got up. I followed a pretty normal routine. I got an e-mail from Gabriella asking what hymn I would like to play on Sunday. So I picked up my trombone and played a few hymns. I e-mailed her back. Then I used broccoli, a really long cucumber and some carrots for a quick juice. I fixed breakfast next. I change my bandaid, wondering why it was made so sticky that removing it threatens to re-open the wound. I touched the sticky ends of the new bandaid to the sheet to make it less sticky. I packed a lunch, and gathered a months-old project to work on. I went to the church. I passed out the remaining tissue covers, first to those who were not here last week, and then to whomever wanted one. My first task was to audition borders to the small center I had made previously. I really obsessed, which made Maryann feel better. Normally I do my obsessing at home and only bring preplanned work to quilt days. Finally I made a decision, leaving out some strips that seemed important to include but were not long enough to go all the way around. I pinned the first border to the sides, then set up my machine. While looking for thread, I found my lunch so I ate it. Then I sewed the first set of strips on. Then the next set. In fact, it was going so well, I thought that with a little luck it could be done in time for Christmas. I finished it about 5:30.  Mirna agreed to quilt it for me, so I packed up all my stuff and went home to find a backing. In my stash of wide fabrics I found a black that would work. All I had to do was rip off enough for the length and square it up. I laid it out on the pingpong table with the quilt top on top to make sure it would fit. Then I drove back to the church to give it to Mirna. When I got home, I put on the steering wheel cover that Cheryl gave me today. It is pieced and so cute. My car was running low on gas, so we took it to the cheap gas station and filled it up. When we got back, I made a large salad and hummus. The salad was way too large to eat (why do I always make so much?) so I saved most of it for tomorrow. Barbara e-mailed me a pic of her quilt top. I wanted to download it from her message, but we could not find a way in Yahoo to do it. So I sent it to my gmail account. In gmail there was a way to do it, but it did not work. I had to forward it to Chris, who put it on a thumbdrive to transfer it to my computer. Neither one of us had anything nice to say about Yahoo and their recent changes. Or Microsoft. Then we watched 2 episodes of Bones. Chris checked his e-mail one last time, and helped me put some aloe on my finger. Then he went to bed while I posted to my blog and contemplated making fermented nut cheese before going to bed. 
*  This is Barbara's quilt top  *

No comments: